Friday, July 31, 2009

Garden Musings....

Time to take stock of where we were, and what craziness is happening in the garden now:


So this was the garden some time in May?...In the farthest row you can see a couple pumpkins getting a good start, along w/a volunteer Hosta (the one w/the white & green bi-colored leaves). The next row has broccoli, a small yellow & green Hosta, and a "mystery" plant (the tallest one in the row). Then comes the spinach row, a so-far negligible cucumber row, and in the last row (off-screen) are onions.

Here's another pic from the front end:




You can see the Bleeding Heart's (Coeur de Marie in French), that are next to the garden, and a better view of the Hosta (which I had planted years ago and completely forgotten about). I think my decisions to fertilize the garden this time around, instead of just "letting nature" do it's work helped alot-especially with the "volunteer" plants! We also did amend the soil with some regular garden soil and some compost (which had probably been working for about 3 years...).

So this is what it looks like now!-




The spinach has actually already been harvested: we tried for a 2nd growth, like with lettuce, but it didn't really work out. The broccoli is finally starting to bloom, the cucumbers took off and our "mystery plant" is getting taller and weirder! What could it be??!!

(Our Liliac trees are in the background: I put down some weed barrier, and lots of barkdust to keep down the grasses/weeds that seem to pop up everywhere here!).

So what is that "mystery plant" you ask?



It is a Double-Bloom Hollyhock! You can also see down on the right some bright yellow Primrose (another volunteer), and the crazy pumpkin vines in the back blooming and twining around the Liliacs. For several years after we had a serious garden, we kind of gave up and I tried to make a flower garden...I planted some Foxglove, the Hostas, some mint, Chinese Lanterns, Daisies, and evidently some Primrose & Hollyhocks! This year we decided to try again, and Snabby rototilled the garden area quite well, so I'm surprised about all the plants that survived that!




Now I've got some crazy pumpkin vine pics:




The vine just keeps going, and going.....


This pic shows how it's reached the house, and then turned to go into the Daylilies. It's also a nice picture of the Pumpkin Blossoms, which close and wither very quickly over the course of just a day or so. So far we have just a couple pumpkins started, but I'm already exited for Halloween!




Finally, here is a pic of some of our bounty - a huge Cucumber (I try keeping up on harvesting them, but they get way from me, hiding under the leaves!), a growing Pumpkin and a Black Krim tomato.


19 comments:

ladybug said...

PS I forgot to mention there is also a little pumpkin already turning yellow in the background in the last picture...

Dave said...

What fun! I think I'll peel back some carpet and plant a garden in my apartment.

ze bulette said...

ah man, jealous! my wife and i both got so sick in the spring with pneumonia that we let the garden beds go completely, other than a few tomato plants (that fortunately are coming on strong, having started in a since wind-demolished cheap plastic greenhouse). oh well, we're looking at quick growing stuff and late fall/wintering veges. weird, 'cos we've never really done those before...

Pandabonium said...

Those are great pics. I let my garden go this year for various reasons and am thankful for our generous farmer neighbors and in-laws. I'll have to make it up to them next season.

ladybug said...

Thanks for all the compliments...but the bulk of the work was really done by Snabby-he really wanted to get it going this year: Rototilled, set up the fence, weeded fairly regularly (until recently...we both kinda fell off the wagon w/the weeds!).

Also forgot to mention there's a little pepper plant (w/1 pepper on it!) and a volunteer Cherry tomato too...

Later I will do another post on my potted herb garden-ALOT easier to weed!

ladybug said...

PS-We also did not have any big house projects this year (last year we re-painted the house, and I was working full-time all summer long)

Dave-there are actually lots of easy things to do in an appt (even w/o a deck)-and NO weeding!

ze bulette-I've always wanted to do fall/winter produce, but usually ran out of steam by then. If you do, let us know how it goes!

Panda-I think it's good to take a break from food produce, if nothing else, it gives the land a chance to lie fallow for awhile....

Don Snabulus said...

That was a great description of our gardening this year. I wanted to post about it, but I am glad you beat me to it cuz you done real good.

I look forward to many great tasting eats. Bummer that we just found out that our broccoli proceeded to flower to before the heads really developed. Ah well, everything else is kickin' butt.

Arkonbey said...

That pumpkin vine is entirely awesome!

I've been leery of non-red tomatoes myself. Had a chance to buy Purple Russian (heirloom)seedlings,but didn't.

How's the taste of those black 'maters?

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

We picked it a bit late and didn't slice it until it was kinda soft, but I could tell by eating my own mushy piece that the flavor was great, reminiscent of a Brandywine. We look forward to picking and using the next one in a timely fashion.

DewKid said...

Nice garden. I remember when I was a kid and we turned our side yard into a garden for a short time. We grew corn, carrots, peas, green beans, and tomatoes. What fun!

Mystery Plant: At least it wasn't a double-plumed Polly-hawk!

(Cats, four pounds, la la la la la la laaaa)

Pandabonium said...

In spite of my failures this season, K harvested some of her blueberries today. Oh, yum. Looking forward to some in my oatmeal in the morning.

Ladybug - the thing that is fallow this year is my brain. :o

Don Snabulus said...

DK,

You and your puns! ;) You should give it a try with your kids next year. It will give them an appreciation for where the food comes from.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

Hey, the mind needs rest to rejuvenate (and fertilized with art and literature).

Badger in a Mail Box said...

I don't know any badger vegetarians, but it might be fun to bat the tomatoes around for a while. SWIPE!

The Moody Minstrel said...

*whew*

For a minute there I was worried that the "mystery plant" was going to turn out to be a body-snatcher pod or something of the sort. Hollyhocks are generally innocent.

I don't think I've ever seen garden-grown broccoli. That might be one to try suggesting to FIL for his quarter-acre farm.

WV: dentsm - What we hope Mini-Snab doesn't do to cars.

Some jolly red coated fella said...

Hoe Hoe Hoe!
Merry Crysanthiums...

Some Guy said...

Satan or Santa? You decide!

WV: ching - A note that follows Cha!

A passing and very hungry deer said...

This garden looks tasty. I think I'll eat it.

ladybug said...

Craziness! I'm involved in craziness!