Friday, June 05, 2009

Pollen Attacks!

(Some of you might have seen a brief post about the Prez and the lofty perch we no longer stand upon, but I decided that it probably wasn't worth the effort, so I deleted it. I was right, but who cares? Stuff like that leads to talking points that are pointless and mental mass debation. So I write about this...)

Those in Oregon and southwest Washington were treated to (or victims of) a rare show yesterday. The second severe thunderstorm warning issued in the 25 years I've paid attention happened then. 1" (2.5cm) hail, heavy rain, high winds, a tornado warning, and definitely some funnel clouds were the order of the day for a city that gets about 1% of the thunder of an average Florida town. The local weather geeks have more info.

The biggest event we had at Rancho Snabuloso occurred at the beginning of the storm. I knew it was coming, saw the marching hordes of cumulonimbus on the radar, and the NWS warnings as things moved in. However, the menu called for barbecued chicken and I started early to avoid the storm. The sky turned gray and dark as I cooked and I hoped I would have time to finish. We erected a cheap plastic tarp shelter for the summer, so I weighed that down while I waited with some hope that the darn thing would endure.

My wildest moments came before the first drops of rain or the first clap of thunder. Wind ahead of the squall line began whipping up just as I was finishing the chicken. Our line of Douglas Firs and Pines in the back yard whipped into a frenzy and the air turned foggy and yellow with pollen and debris blown from the trees. Not knowing if this was a few temporary gusts, I hurriedly finished plucking the cooked chicken from the grill and ran it into the house. I am sure that pollen seasoning was prevalent on the plate.

I ran back out and surveyed the remaining chicken. The wind was getting crazier, so I removed it, put it on another plate, killed the propane, and brought it in the house. The wind whipped the entire time and the foggy/dusty yellow air continued swirling. I am still surprised we lost no branches and our cheap shelter survived unharmed.

I went in thinking that all hell was about to break loose, but the winds died down a couple minutes later. The rain began to fall and apparently most of the storm was spent by then with only moderate rain and a few close thunder rattlings. The temperature dropped from 85F (29C) to 61F (16F) within about 90 minutes (90 min). On TV, we watched a comma-shaped supercell with funnel clouds sighted pass by the Portland Airport and an informed weatherman gave good information while everyone sounded like gibbering idiots.

Ladybug and I saw some small trees snapped in half today while we were driving around the neighborhood. All in all, it was an interesting end to an early and somewhat humid heat wave.

14 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Wow, what weather you had! That sort of thing is what we in Japan refer to as late August.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you didn't suffer any damage. Also, consider yourself fortunate that that yellow fog of pollen wasn't Japanese sugi (which much if not most of the Japanese are allergic to...and now so am I).

Now...seriously, just what is the beef with the Prez? I'm probably not hearing very much over here.

Dave said...

We had a nasty storm up here last year which knocked down several trees and the power.

As far as the vanishing post, you are right to remove it. I could see we were going to strike sharp opposing views. My only point being don't blame America exclusively for the war on terror.

Don Snabulus said...

I don't, but thanks for not letting it go.

Pandabonium said...

Glad I'm not in the Untied States anymore, dealing with all the angst.

Interesting weather. Here it's been typical cloudier than I like it and borderline warm (my comfortably warm is K's swooning hot). But at least no tempests snapping trees or dumping hail on the crops.

ladybug said...

I'm just glad the humidity is over...I can't stand it. Makes me think I'm back in the East Coast...bleah!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Which is worse, the rapidly-fluctuating, increasingly extreme weather patterns, or the rapidly-fluctuating, increasingly-extreme political opinions?

That was a rhetorical question and doesn't require an answer. I'm also not pointing fingers at any particular individuals.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

I Soviet Russia, angst deals you!

Sound like I am in K's camp, the heat is not my thing.

LB,

Dry heat is the best heat.

MM,

The answer is a rhetorical yes.

Dave said...

Gosh, I thought my friends had tougher skins. COME ON! No seriously, if you don't want to debate thats fine. I'm just in the mood because, well, it doesn't matter.

Don Snabulus said...

Wild guess: You fell off the wagon.

Dave said...

No, I am still sober, imagine that!

Don Snabulus said...

That's good news.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Maybe that's the problem.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Speaking of getting P.O.ed over political events, how about this nice tidbit from the "it just figures" bin?

Swinebread said...

TMI hehehehe