Friday, May 22, 2009

Pretty Flowers

Hey everyone, Memorial Day is coming up...when my family "goes to the graves". Although it started out as a military thing, most folks around here have turned it into a Day of Remembrance for ALL thehir dead. For us, it's pretty informal, we just put flowers on the graves of friends & family, or on their tomb if it's in a mausoleum. We never spend money on the flowers, but collect them from our yards, and pick up containers at the cemeteries a couple days before - if you wait too long, they are usually out!

Here are some late spring pictures from our gardens:

Lupine

I chose a pink lupine last year, just because I was so tired of the regular purple. I really like it, and it has gone great guns since I replanted it in a much larger container. I saw a huge bumblebee humping the blossoms things morning, it was quite a sight!



Potted Garden

You can see our California poppies, a large Bleeding Heart plant, some Heirloom tomato plants (one Black Krim, and one Brandywine), and a "miscellenous" pot with Rosemary, Italian Parsley and some summer flowering bulbs (which I can't remember the name of right now).


Pink Rhodie

This Rhododendron from our front yard is show stopper, the blossoms are huge! I severely pruned this bush last fall, but we still have plenty to use for this years' bouquets.



Pale Purple Rhodie

Another one from the front yard (we have 3 total), which has lots of flowers this year. I've always liked Rhodies since they grow so well here, take very little care, and come in so many colors.

14 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Hey, that looks alot like my yard! Coincidence? You've cultivated a wondrous batch of beauty.

Dave said...

I'm still trying to make the connection between petals and bicycles--wait a minute--PSSST PSSPTSPSSTT--I've just been told that there was no mention of bicycles in this post.

Ring around the roses,
A pocket full of posies,
Ashes Ashes,
We all fall down!

I'm really beginning to miss that Friday night drink I would normally have about now.

Sigh.

The Colorman said...

What color?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Don, is your yard really that colorful? (Must be...that color freak showed up again!)

Dave, I hope you get through this ordeal with a minimum of pain and fuss.

Pandabonium said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pandabonium said...

Loverly. I especially like that rhododenron. In Hawaii, for Memorial Day, school kids make leis which are sent to Honolulu to be placed on the graves in National Memorial Cemetery of the Pacific at Punchbowl.

Best wishes Dave. Health is the only true wealth.

Don Snabulus said...

MM,

Ladybug has mixed up the colors and timings pretty well. We have a pleasant place for several months of the year.

Dave,

When I quit chewing tobacco, there was a time of difficulty that was followed by appreciating the freedom of living life without the substance controlling my ability to choose what to do. I hope it works that way for you.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

Interesting you should mention the rhodies. Our landscaper neighbor thinks they look "so 70s" but we love the local look of them. This is after all the state that has a city called Rhododendron which is aptly named. We should learn to make leis. It would be a beautiful way to remember our dead.

Arkonbey said...

Nice rhodie! Ours has been growing pretty well even though it gets zero direct sunlight the entire year. Your landscaper should kick your ass. Maybe you should get some hydrangeas and forsythias and then you can show him '70s ;)

Bleeding hearts, too! Sweet enemy just pointed out that we have a new volunteer bleeding heart that has inexplicably started about 3 meters from the only bleeding heart in our yard.

BTW: your yard must smell awesome.

verification word; Poleous. having the appearance of being long and cylindrical.

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

It was awesomely overwhelming with the lilacs in bloom. The long winter turned everything on at once. My hay fever is crazy this year, but I loves me that spring.

Dennis Moore said...

Right, now, my fine friends, no false moves, please. I want you to hand over all the lupines you've got.

Dean Wormer said...

Happy Memorial Day, Snabby. Thanks for keeping the vets in our family in mind.

I think we'll be going to that service at OMSI at the sub today at 1:00.

Don Snabulus said...

DM,

We don't want any more bloody lupines!!! We want food... and money!

DW,

Thanks. Same to you. Have a great day.

Thepsilam said...

The flowers are beautiful Ladybug. Very nice sentiment as well. Hope your weekend was filled with warm feelings and fond thoughts.