Saturday, January 10, 2009

Stitchin Time!

Angel/Devil Pillow

Well here is a project I did for Christmas for our daughter, because she is a Teen Angel/Devil! Title bar link goes to Sublime Stitching, the place where I got stitching designs and the pillow cover. The specific patterns I used were Lisa Petrucci Artist Series #4 and Tatto Alphabet. I got the pillow form at Michael's (14x14) for a reasonable price with my 40% off coupon as well as a few other supplies.

I found these designs were very easy to stitch up and I had most of the colors I wanted to use on hand. I used DMC Cotton floss, of which I have bags and bags given to me by my mom's old lady friends! There were a couple small problems, so I have these recommendations:

1. It's important that the image not move at all while you are ironing it on, so either pin it or hold onto it. I don't recommend moving the iron around at all in fact, just put it on the highest setting for the fabric you are using and set it down on the image & fabric.... helps to use the steam function too...
(I've had several problems with this)
DON'T try to re-iron it,(you will end up w/a blurry image!); instead use a wash-away marker to draw any lines you missed - use the iron-on pattern as a guide.

2. The image can bleed through,(the lines are thick), so use cardboard or some remnants behind the fabric you are ironing on...our daughter has a whole other reversed image on the backside of her pillow!

3. I recommend using a hoop, tried to do it freehand, but just too hard. Helps me keep the tension right. Also easier to see when I messed up and needed to take stitches out.

4. I used shorter lengths, not much more than 15 inches at most, sometimes 12. Keeps the thread from getting too worn and tangled. Also I like the metallic thread Jenny sells (it does tend to "shred" a little, but I just work a little slower with it..). I tried DMC's Metallic floss..and almost went crazy!...it was like trying to sew with copper wire... (their regular floss is great though..).

Here's a close up of the dog...

Cute Poodle!

The Poodle's French knots took me forever to do, but really added to the overall look of the piece. Except for the dog, I used mostly stem stitch, backstitch, satin stitch for the eyes and just a couple straight stitches. I think the kitty turned out well too..and I LOVE the Devil gals! I have some other patterns, like Bon Voyage, Gnomes & Fairies and Forest Friends so I will have plenty of opportunity for more projects in the future...

UPDATE: More and BETTER Pictures....


Devil Girl with her Orange Flame!












Close up of the Angel, with a Golden Halo



and finally...



The Kitty!... with better view of the cute Devil Girlhead w/flames....

8 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

That is a pretty darn cool pillow too. I know the MiniSnab was happy about receiving it. Good job, Ladybug!

The Moody Minstrel said...

That looks like it took a lot of time and patience. Good job! I've always had a soft spot for handmade items, especially if I know the craftsman.

Arkonbey said...

ha! That is fabulous. The poodle wouldn't have worked if those were Italian knots ;)

I love the little logo on the bottom of the pillow. I see a t-shirt! (would you be offended if I said it reminded me of a sort of all-ages Coop design?)

ladybug said...

Arkonbey - perhaps Lisa Petrucci knows this guy...it's her artwork on that particular patter.

I may update this with some better pictures too..

Dean Wormer said...

Wow, that's beautiful but looks tough. I think I'll stick to my own hobbies of reading comics and berating the kids.

gracefulbird said...

You are so incredibly talented. This pillow is amazing. Great work!

Pandabonium said...

Hey, is this post considered "pillow talk"?

Beautiful work. Nothing like something handmade to make one feel the love. Great job.

ladybug said...

Thanks so much everyone! I did enjoy making it too, and liked now it turned out.

I'm now making a tablecloth for Dia de Los Muertos (I got started now so it would be done by then!)

PS I got my pics put on Sublime Stichings Gallery!...I like looking there to see what other folks have done..for color choices and inspiration..