Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Bad News for Antivirus Programs

More viruses popped up today; I got a spam warning from Comcast and saw that IMAPI.EXE (a program that can control your mail client...any mail client) was running right after I logged in, so my conclusion is that NOTHING WORKS PERFECTLY or indeed well enough. More viruses.

As a result, I am writing this from a wiped and restored system. I could have kept trying other virus programs, but I think the point was driven home that the virus writers are ahead of the virus killers. All the programs I used were well-regarded internationally recognized programs. They can't handle it. If your system is working and virus-free, be happy and be careful.

I will be looking at several options to increase the security, but I no longer have faith that the virus makers have a handle on the situation.

Anyhoo, there is more to life than freaking viruses, so I will leave it at that.

9 comments:

Pandabonium said...

why I use a mac...

word verification: haribear

Umm, Panda?

Don Snabulus said...

Now that Apple has achieved 10% market share, I expect that to change...

word verification: turin (when Jesus said, "Hey, can you hand me that towel?")

Arkonbey said...

did you ever read that Wired article of the guy who bought a cheap laptop and proceeded to disable all antivirus software and then visit every suspect site he possibly could?

word verification: dueas.

Why can't I get a word that could mean something :-(

Arkonbey said...

hey. Now the verification word is

cramship

Now THAT's better!

Dean Wormer said...

I think that quote from the Dark Knight is most appropriate here when Alfred says "some men just like to watch the world burn."

I really hate those guys.

Word: "whensin"

It's not a question of if I'll sin, rather when I will.

Dave said...

Don't forget to add an antikeylogger to your protection package.

I now have that plus prevx, mcafee, and zone alarm all running together.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I looked around a bit on the internet, and it says that imapi.exe is a Windows core file needed by XP to burn CDs. True, I found one site that said some forms of malware can disguise themselves as that file, but most sites I looked at insisted that it is 97% trustworthy and should never be removed or disabled.

Just sayin'. It's a given that you know more than I do.

I just installed PrevX Edge on this box (free trial version) to run alongside my AVG Pro w/ Firewall setup. You should ask them for advertising royalties.

Don Snabulus said...

MM,

Sorry, I was guilty of fuzzy thinking again. IMAPI.EXE is probably an okay file. I mistook it for MAPI (Message API) which is the library spammers could use to collect or mass mail to all the people in your address book.

Anti-Virus programs are like condoms. They aren't fool proof, but you are fool if you don't have one on. (That makes me a fool because I had none active when that malicious web page came up.)

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

Cramship. Is that what they do in drydocks?

DW,

That DVD just showed up from Netflix. I will be looking for that line.

Dave,

I watched you type that. >:)