Tuesday, January 27, 2009

And the Anti-Virus Winner Is...

Only the PrevX Edge scanner found all of the viruses that I knew were on the system. Also, the download was less than 1 MB, it used the least total CPU by far. It also scanned and found all the baddies (that I am aware of) in under 10 minutes. The unfortunate part is that PrevX doesn't give you the geeky details. It just quarantines the viruses and deletes the root kits. Unfortunately, while detection is free, there is no free ride to remove viruses. I forked over the $30 (on an uncompromised PC) to clean up the files nobody else could find.

AVG Free is second best. It found all the new ones, but didn't find the root kit. It also cleaned out a bunch of stuff before I decided to do some tests. Full scan is about 2 hours. It used the most CPU and lots of memory. $FREE$ is a good price though.

Zone Alarm didn't find anything. - It took a long time to scan (you could see the individual filenames and the counter going up one at a time). I gave up and stopped it before it did the whole system and just spot scanned the folders that I knew had viruses. It had already checked most of them, but I wanted to give it a second chance. No luck.

Trend Micro didn't find anything. - It was the biggest download (almost 100MB). It took nearly four hours to scan. It looked irritating and disrupted the foreground window often. I uninstalled it as soon as the scan was over. Odd, because it came highly recommended.

-----------------

The next couple of days will tell whether sub-viruses keep spawning off like they did yesterday and this morning. Even if they do, I am leery of whether or not this system is really clean. As a result, I must still decide whether to reinstall Windows or move on to Ubuntu Linux. It was educational, but not confidence inspiring. If I had the cash, I would punt and get a Mac Mini...but I don't.

9 comments:

Hypatia said...

Good for you! You've been working so hard everyday on this effing thing! Poop.

DewKid said...

I use Avira. It's free, pretty unobtrusive (except for the splash screen every time it gets an update, which is about once a day), and so far my system has been virus free. Not sure how it would have performed in your test, so who knows if it is any good. There haven't been any terrorist attacks since I've been using it, so it must be pretty good. ;-)

Don Snabulus said...

Hyp,

I just pooped.

DK,

If it is still throwing out viruses, I will give Avira a try. I used Avast for a while and didn't like it. Next I will try Avenue and Aviator. (For those keeping score at home, Avira and Avast are real.)

Don Snabulus said...

I should mention that when I done figuring out which is best, I am going to reset the system to factory spec and start over with XP and the winner.


Unless I decide to go with Linux and run Windows in a virtual machine.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I'm still eager to get some honest to goodness feedback on Clamwin. I haven't checked out either Avira or PrevX Edge so I know NUFFINK. Here at the school all machines connected to the LAN are obligated to use Trend Micro's Virus Buster, (It actually uninstalled AVG when I first connected up and logged in!) so your report worries me.

Don Snabulus said...

MM,

I tried ClamWin on a neighbor's PC who was riddled with viruses and it couldn't clean it up. Open source is a neat idea for many things, but anti-virus programs isn't one of them.

I am no longer the person to ask about which antivirus program is best. My new answer is to fart in the general direction of the asker.

Pandabonium said...

deja vu all over again.

Dean Wormer said...

Holy crap. That sounds awful.

We use Trend at work and spybot which does a good job if you get a good snapshot of your registry clean.

I got virused recently but was lucky because it was an older strain and there were several free mini aps to kill the thing available.

Don Snabulus said...

DK,

I have Avira on my virtual machine. I pray to baby Jesus that it finds all of the evil.

PB,

It appears the Titanic reference is more widespread.

DW,

I'm glad things are going relatively well for you on that front. I think I found my happy medium now.