Sunday, December 14, 2008

Super Mega Winter Blast Burst Freeze 2008!!!!!

Storm Team 12 and Task Force Blizzard Freezecakes (ok, I made that up) predicted it and it finally happened. It got cold and snowed.

I woke up early this morning and it was above freezing and green. I scoffed at this stupid weather forecast. Fifteen minutes later it started snowing and it kept going all day today.



During the heat of the day, the temperature had dropped about 8 degrees F. As evening closes in, it is getting even colder.



The MiniSnab (with my help) put up the Holiday Lights (ordinarily I would say Christmas Lights, but there IS A WAR on regarding blah blah blah). She did a decent job until she started getting cold, then it got a bit sloppy. If the 50 to 60 mph gusts tonight don't shatter the bulbs, we will fix it tomorrow.



The cat wanted to go outside, we obliged, and when we noticed him at the door a couple hours later, he had snow on his fur and he appeared to be rather ticked off. We let him in, dried his fur, and let him roost in his indoor resting spot. These are the feline perils when humans lets kitties make their own decisions.

The outdoor faucets are sheathed in styrofoam, the crawlway vents are closed, and we have enough food to avoid driving for a few days. Temperatures could get down as low as 10F (-12C). It should be fun watching the weather and the local news hysterics on TV (though we generally ignore the local news).

7 comments:

Momo the Wonder Dog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Whoa! and I thought 37 F was cold here this morning. I was all snug in my insulated doggy house with windows, door, and 100 F floor heater (my house is warmer than PandaB and K's at night). But I think at 10F I'd ask them to take me inside.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Yeah, I was just reading about this on Fark. Lots of repeat posts of YouTube videos of bumper cars on SW Portland roads back in 2006. Lots of smug Midwesterners, Canadians, and Alaskans laughing (without a clue about the fact that Portland is a very hilly city lacking regular snow/ice contingencies...and its snows have a bad habit of turning into solid ice), and lots of Oregonians and Washingtonians telling everyone to STFU.

For once I'm glad I'm not there this time of year.

It looks like you're going to be dealing with it for several days if not a full week, too. Best of luck...and watch out for crazed Californian soccer moms slamming on their breaks in their chainless Hummers!

Arkonbey said...

bah! you PacNorWesters don't know from winter! One snowflake hits I-5 and the trucks start jackknifing!

I kid.

Actually while it was -10 or so all weeknend (woodstove cranking from 8am-midnight), it is now 35 deg F and raining-ish. Yay.

Robert Heinlein once said all cats believe that, in winter, every door leads to summer and they are always surprised by the cold. Our cat will balk at the front door, but then run immediately to the back, hoping for a door into summer.

Dean Wormer said...

I hope you survived okay through the cold.

It's making the commute to work... interesting.

Don Snabulus said...

Momo,

Nice digs. Jeebus is jealous. He stays in our garage which is much warmer than outside, but still plenty cool and BORING. He is a trooper.

MM,

Indeed. Ladybug and I were downtown (Portland, OR) and long stretches of sidewalks were glistening slicks of ice. The majority was treated, but it was still rather odd after being in east coast metro centers during winter.

Ark,

It is truer than you think. If it were -10F in Portland for a week, there would be several deaths and our water system would be in shambles.

DW,

Worked from home today. Tomorrow shouldn't be too bad. Most major streets are generally dry now.

Pandabonium said...

I remember it snowed in the San Fernando Valley (LA County) in 1960. We had a sloped front yard and the whole neighborhood came over to ski and sled and have snow ball fights. Good fun.