Monday, December 22, 2008

More Snow Pics

This is officially the biggest snow storm of my life (which isn't saying much to some of you other Northerners). Here are a few more photos of the experience.



Where is Birdo? There is an Oregon Junco hiding out here in the dregs of our cherry tomatoes. See if you can find it.



This is a shot of our Red Versa. If you look close, you can see the stratigraphy of this storm. There is about 6" of snow under 3/8" of ice under another 4" of snow (the actual depths were more but the wind kept the cars a bit cleaner).



After the freezing rain, I saw the birds trying to get food under the ice in vain, so I went to the store and got some sunflower seeds for them. I think they approved.



Another junco.



Not sure what this bird is, but it found the food!



These are two 5 gallon buckets I left outside. As you can see, the snow has almost buried them. I find the cones above them somewhat attractive for reasons I cannot fathom.

6 comments:

Arkonbey said...

actually, the last photo looks like a snow gator lying in wait.

and remember to keep your feeders full once you start 'em.

Hypatia said...

I love it..even though I haven't been out of the house for day!...should be headin' out later today...

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

We have no feeders (or they would turn in to cat feeders...Jeebus is a prize hunter). I used the margins around the house and a couple other snow-free spots to put the seeds. This is just to keep them alive until the ice melts.

Hypatia,

get out there! you will like it.

The Moody Minstrel said...

(Mouth hanging open)

Wow...that is truly bizarre!

But I think it's going to melt off soon. That bizarre tropical air mass that has been alternately baking and flooding us has just as suddenly disappeared. Now everything outside is coated with a layer of frost at 1:00 a.m..

Pandabonium said...

I especially like the picture of the bird on the snow.

It's cold and windy here today. About 40 with the wind chill making it feel like 28. Supposed to be below freezing tomorrow morning. No snow though.

Dean Wormer said...

You know the world would be a better place if birds stopped freeloading and learned to fend for themselves.