Friday, December 19, 2008

If You Can Read This, You're Old

The MiniSnab just informed me that MySpace rocks and blogs are what old people do. Oops, pardon me while I go take some Geritol...dang it all I can't find my walker. Old. Geez, I must be ALMOST 30 or something. It was an interesting little snippet of conversation between her Aunt, Ladybug, and myself. While I left behind the 30 marker a long time ago, it was all very amusing.

(Don't assume I was kidding about the Geritol and the walker...okay, assume.)

In other news...

Portland, Oregon has been channeling the spirit of Philly or Boston this week. Snow, cold, and wind have been the major themes along with generally yucky roads (although the last 2 afternoons weren't bad). The real fun is supposed to start tomorrow night when (supposedly) 6 to 10 inches (15 to 25cm) of snow are supposed to fall in Portland. This is going to be followed (we are told) with a half inch (1.25 cm) of freezing rain on top. It is a good thing we are heading into the holidays because the MiniSnab has already missed a week of school (Arkonbey is probably saying WTF?) due to the weather. I have a feeling that will need to be made up later in order to meet state requirements. I have a totalled Saturn station wagon with ABS, traction control, and brand new chains, so we can head out for groceries if needed (or walk to 7/11 and live off of junk food). This is the one time of year having a trashed but running vehicle pays dividends.

In yet other news...

Well, I was going to write about current events, but I changed my mind. Most of it is contrived crap. So fudge'em.

I have a fair amount of vacation to use up, so I have only one work day before the end of the year. All this time off is really welcome because I realize how much I've sacrificed for this small company over the last 7 years. This is my due and I am taking it. Thanks to the holidays and the overall financial scene, I am going to focus hard on the home front instead of going on any long trips.

I just finished Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It was an interesting book with a very sobering message, but Cat's Cradle was written better and engaged me more. Vonnegut was a POW who was one of the few to survive the firebombing of Dresden. The number who died in that event was around 130,000. After reading this and contemplating what I read about Moody and Pandabonium's trips to Hiroshima. After all that apocalyptic destruction that makes 9/11 look like a gnat on an elephant's ass, one must hope that it is never repaid in kind and that we learn to quit talking like it is our divine and sole right to wield such demonic power. And yet if it is going to happen, you and I will be powerless to stop it. So it goes.

The next book is Good Omens by Terry Pratchet and Neil Gaiman. It should be more a bit more fun.

8 comments:

Pandabonium said...

In times like that having a cupboard full of canned beans and a bag of rice pays off. Then you can sit back with a hot meal and listen to "Baby, It's Cold Outside"... (that will make the Mini Snab think you're REALLY old!)

The Moody Minstrel said...

That's why having a closet stocked with canned and other long-lived food products as a standard winter precaution is good common sense.

MySpace rocks and blogs are old? What, is your stepdaughter living in the dark ages? MySpace was knocked off by Facebook ages (i.e. a few months) ago!

Nahhh...this is all just more proof that the internet has killed off young people's imagination. All the entertainment has to be ready provided without any thought or effort required.

Info Geek said...

Moody is absolutely correct on the first two accounts, but I'm not sure about the last one.

Tell Mini Snab that MySpace is considered passé by most high school grads and many high schoolers, so she'd better get with the program and join Facebook. I'm quite confident there will be a "cooler" and "hipper" application in January, so she'd better look lively and be prepared to drop Facebook for the next best thing when it arrives.

As far as the Internet killing young peoples imagination, I think there is a definite argument to be made for that, but there is also the potential for young people to be creative and share their imaginations with other people. There are tons of very good, (and let's face it, very bad) video productions on Vimeo, YouTube, (and their ilk), chalked full of imaginative goodness. Let's hope the youth of today take advantage of the tools and resources available to them to be creative instead of just being spoon feed entertainment from corporations.

Swinebread said...

No, myspace is for people that don't have the good sense to not reveal too much about them selves on the internet.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

We are generally stocked up, so we got that going for us.

Nice song...MiniSnab would probably like it (she's complicated).

MM,

She does FaceBook too (at my direction it is under a pseudonym thus violating their terms of use agreement...friggin' commies).

IG (& MM),

Like a telephone, the Internet has plenty of healthy uses and some decidedly unhealthy ones. I agree with Info Geek that the great things people have done have enriched our lives, I believe society needs to recognize that there are dangers (beyond pr0n) for children on the Internet that can be abused just like any other attractive activity (smoking, booze, gambling, etc).

Ladybug's sister describes an extreme lack of focus among her college students. It is possible that spending hours flitting from site to site creates pathways in the brain that make it more difficult to focus AND exacerbating phenomena such as ADHD.

I try to limit the MiniSnab's Internet time and sometimes I get colossal resistance that is somewhat reminiscent of addictive behavior. When that happens, I take it away completely for a while.

SB,

Indeed. So does FaceBook. The number of things people are cataloging that can come back them in the butt later is amazing. Hence my pseudonym rule.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I hope she gets away with it. I tried to use a pseudonym on Facebook and got booted off less than a month later.

Arkonbey said...

LB: In times like that having a cupboard full of canned beans and a bag of rice pays off.

Don't forget to have some jugs of water handy just in case. Sure, you've got that snow around but you have to melt a ton of snow to get a fair amount of water :)

infogeek: There are tons of very good, (and let's face it, very bad) video productions on Vimeo, YouTube, ... chalked [sic] full of imaginative goodness.

Sure. But, just try to offer any kind of critique of the works and the creators get all defensive. If there's one thing I learned in art school it's that just doing the work doesn't make the work good and these kids (whipersnappers?) don't seem to realize that.

Dean Wormer said...

I thought the kids today twittered.