Friday, September 05, 2008

Happy Birthday GNU

Let's face it, the Large Hadron Collider Rap is a hard act to follow, but with the help of Mr. Fry here, I think I can share something with you I've been wanting to share for the last couple of days.

I'm confident most Snabby readers are Windows, Mac or (OS2?) users. I migrated to Ubuntu Linux about 18 months ago. I've experienced both a lot of fun, and honestly at times, a lot of frustration. I seem to learn something new every day.

Typing of learning; I learnt the other day the GNU operating system will be celebrating it's 25th birthday on the 27th of this month. To help celebrate the 25th birthday, Stephen Fry has produced a short video clip talking about the Free Software Foundation. I knew Mr. Fry has his own blog and I also knew he's a bit of a tech geek, but I didn't realize he is a supporter of open source software.

If you can spare 5 minutes 51 seconds, I encourage you to watch Mr. Fry's video. In true Mr. Fry fashion, it's clever, entertaining, informative and just plain fun. I doubt it will convince many people to change operating systems, but it's still worth a gander. Enjoy!

Update: I forgot to give credit to GNU for the photo of Mr. Fry, sorry!

6 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

I've been having fun playing with Edubuntu, the educational version of Ubuntu, at my school. I'm just thankful it came with Firefox bundled!

Arkonbey said...

That reminds me, I have to borrow that Jeeves and Wooster box set from the library this weekend...

Don Snabulus said...

There are many good things on the Internet that free and shared software have contributed to. Most of the big money players are beneficiaries of this legacy.

So happy birthday GNU and thanks!

Pandabonium said...

And now the GNUs with Gary Gnu...
(The Muppet Show).

Hooray for free, shared, and open source software.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The only problem with open source software is that you don't usually get one patch...you wind up with A WHOLE BUNCH OF DIFFERENT PATCHES FOR THE SAME THING!

Info Geek said...

pandabonium: Gary Gnu was from the Great Space Coaster. Try this link:
http://tinyurl.com/3ckkdz

moody: Wow, did you experience that with Edubuntu? I've never experienced multiple patches for the same thing, so I'm curious to learn more.