Monday, July 14, 2008

Oregon Country Fair Rides Again!

(One of the Bike Parks at the entrance to the Fair)

Part I
Wow..what a weekend! Decided to get the 3-day wristband and got on the road by 10 am Thursday-by myself! I had planned to stop in Salem maybe to eat lunch...but since I wasn't that hungry I just kept on all the way to Eugene. Didn't stop 'til I got to my exit, ate at the Denny's right next door (had a great sandwich and a Hot Fudge Sundae!) then checked into my hotel. It took awhile as the computer's weren't working...but no prob. Settled in and promptly had a nap! Got up went shopping at a nearby natural food store on Franklin Ave. and then went to dinner at the Glenwood Restaurent (the UO location). We discovered it last year while looking for a reasonably priced food place...it's fun, friendly and the food is GOOD!


Next morning, up at'em early, b-fast at Denny's, quick change to Fair "Phunalia" then out Hwy 126 to Veneta! Got there by 8 am or so...a whole hour before they open the gates...but I gotta trick - go down the service entrance (may need to show your ticket), plus you park close. Put on the mosquito and sun stuff and was out by the hay bales at the Cabal entrance by 8:15...(hey I TRIED to convince Security I could wait at the Dragon gate, but no way!). Had to wait around 'til 10am when that opened up, and while doing so had a long conversation w/a security guy who lost his wallet w/$400 inside..he was bummed. Also met an old stoner who's been coming since it opened in 1969...except for the 4 years he was in jail. Was also a Disabled Vietnam Vet who got in a mess of drugs (coke, heroin, & pot), courtesy of the US Army after his 2nd tour which was pure hell, where he got hurt. Finally kicked everything in jail..but does a little "bud now & then" -he LOVES the fair, the whole mellow atmosphere , his 2 girls grew up going to it every year. Camps across the road at Darling Reunion Campground...where they have food, showers and a whole lotta vendors that don't wanna pay the OCF "booth fee", (which he implied was quite hefty). He doesn't own a car or drive, so gets around on the bus, train, or arranges rides sometimes. He was a really interesting guy and had alot to say on the legalization of Mary Jane and other such subjects...

Then we FINALLY move to the Dragon Gate to exchange our ticket for a 3-day bright pink wristband...and I move right up as close to the front as possible. I want to get some of those 2008 Commemorative items at the History Booth!

We stand around for an hour longer (until 11am) and voila! We're in! I get to the booth in time to get a poster, a shirt for MiniSnab and this year's batik sarong (I've got all 3...they just started having them in 2006). I was a little disappointed in the sarong, (it's beautiful, don't get me wrong!), but except for the OCF Peach Logo, the year and and "Oregon Country Fair", it's otherwise an image of Black Tara...no reference to the local land, or the fair as the previous ones were...could be any old hippie batik somebody picked up in Thailand... Oh well...
Then it was off to the Button booth for this year's big button, and wandering along, I took a couple photos of a food booth, near the entrance to a side path I like by the showers.


The path is called "Open Sesame"...The closer you get to the shower area, there are some nice comfy chairs in the shade! They are some old vinyl seats ripped out from a torn down theater somewhere. They painted 'em up all crazy ...it's sure nice to have someplace to sit that has a back on it! It's a great place to hang out and people watch too..

I got a another lantern at the Touch the Earth booth, then headed out towards Chela Mela Meadow to grab a knish (they're cheap!). As I wandered I looked at some other items I'd been thinking of..and bought a broom, some rainbow horns, and a cute fishing toy for some neighbor boys. I also came across one of the ubiquitous Parades the Fair is famous for...


Part II will be coming soon....

8 comments:

Dean Wormer said...

THAT looks like a kickass time.

I suppose you can buy all sorts of handmade wares there.

Did people get nekkid as usual?

ladybug said...

Actually there seems to be less and less at time goes by...I think it has something to do w/"age" and "gravity" but I'm not sure :P...

However, it CAN get hot, so folks often wear the least they can...and stay in the shade..with lots of DEET!

Pandabonium said...

Far out. Do you have a Ladybug costume?

The bike park looks like interstate pile up. Interesting assortment of machines.

The "old stoner" sounds like an interesting guy. Victim of the hypocrisies of our times - a war for the Laos drug trade and a policy to jail those who use unapproved substances to alter their mental state, even as the government controls the main conduits of the trade.

Those lanterns are beautiful. Looking forward to part II.

Don Snabulus said...

Sorry I wasn't there with you. I had an appointment with The Police (the aging rockers, not the aloof people who sneer at us "pukes").

It looks like it was as fun as ever!

ladybug said...

Panda-No I don't have a ladybug outfit..but it an idea for next year! I'll just say I'm pretty colorful for SURE!

Pandabonium said...

I think it would be cool - big red with black polka dot wings, antennae on you head, and extra set of limbs...

jim johnson crs said...

[suspected spam. link removed]

Looks like fun! I'm stuck here selling Bend Oregon real estate.

Swinebread said...

I'm glad your ist day went so well. But sadly you were on your own this time.

Nice that that you had some good conversation too.