Thursday, June 05, 2008

New Links

Given the lack of chain-blog tags and the fact we have been preparing for painting our house and doing various outdoor things, the blog is a bit underutilized. I am sure the process of getting to the point where we can paint will be a blog entry or two in itself and I owe Isis an eBike update now that I am back on the road with it. Barring all that, here are some new links I added to the right there ---->

Archdruid Report, The

We discovered Pagan Archdruid John Michael Greer in an article in a spiritual magazine a few months ago and subsequently his weblog. He has written very thoughtful posts on the subject of increasing resource scarcity, environmental changes, and their consequences. This is an excellent complement to Isis' Floating Down Denial blog.

DewKid's Blog

I've had DewKid's excellent Realmspeak blog linked for years, but I have been extremely neglectful and lazy in omitting his regular weblog. He has a knack for finding the odd corners in American culture and sharing them with us. As a friend going back to grade school, he is responsible (as well as Moody and me) for some of the inside joke comments here that probably leave some of our readers scratching our heads. Then again, it might be dandruff.

Dick Cavett's Talk Show Blog

Most readers here remember the Dick Cavett show from a couple/few decades ago. That dry English wit is back in the form of a blog. His experiences and verbal playfulness are a reminder of the days when smart TV existed outside PBS.

Gaia 2000 Live Journal

Gaia 2000's Musings of a Bohemian journal takes us through the seasons of the Earth and her soul. She is a very real person with a compelling philosophical outlook.

Hypatia Speaks

This is a new blog written by a student of Paganism and the subject matter has already shown some interesting range.




You may have noticed a profusion of Pagan links. Let me assure you that my soul and spirit are still rotting husks of non-religiosity but I like what I like and some of these links represent friends and family. I do like modern Paganism's close ties to agricultural and seasonal rhythms that underlie our ability to exist even as they are hidden from most of us behind distant food processing plants and distribution networks. It is important that even the urbane and suburbane not lose sight of these ties to our sustenance.

Update: Oops, I just noticed that I have Gaia 2000's page double linked in the area to the right. So, go check out Musings from a Bohemian to see her stuff.

12 comments:

Dave said...

Having heard numerous variants of pagans speaking on the radio, I can't say I share your entheusiasm, but it is your path to choose.

The history of paganism is highly diverse, and is often confused with satanism, which it isn't. Earth worship is more closely tied to the druids. Wiccans believe in a paternal and maternal god. It is likely that many pagan dieties are passed down by many different names. Some like Zecharia Sitchin claim that these dieties are historical references to ancient alien gods called the Anunaki.

Don Snabulus said...

Enthusiastic is a bit strong, but I am definitely amenable to this worldview and consider it no less valid than your own.

I haven't read much BC history and I found Sitchin's first book to be something I just couldn't get into. Not right or wrong, just not my thing.

Arkonbey said...

et me assure you that my soul and spirit are still rotting husks of non-religiosity

It is entirely possible to be non-religious and spiritual at the same time.

(However, you still should sacrifice to Desab-Xetal, god of housepaint. Burning a pile of those stirring-sticks is generally enough.)

The Moody Minstrel said...

Desab-Xetal? Is he the conglomeration of the various Shinto spirits of the painting equipment? Or was that Shub-Niggurath?

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

Ah, the Gnirrits Skcits rite. Good plan.

MM,

The Desab-Xetal mythos was the brainchild of author Miller "Dutch Boy" Behr. While some thought his prose to be coated with an enduring quality, others felt his style unprimed; his sometimes improper use of the language would cause the reader's memory of him to slough off over time into prosaic chip piles of a forgotten hue.

ladybug said...

(However, you still should sacrifice to Desab-Xetal, god of housepaint. Burning a pile of those stirring-sticks is generally enough.)

Arkonbey..

I love it!...while I curse him secretly under my breath while stirring the primer...yea we're still "prepping" as one might say..

Pandabonium said...

Karate Kid has good house painting instruction. Arkonbey's suggestion is great. You might also want to paint your faces and part of your hair, but you'll probably do that inadvertently anyway.

Arkonbey said...

I read this and my night was made.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

You know us too well. I haven't even touched a paint brush and I have primer on my hands on clothes from Ladybug's labors and my inattentiveness.

Ark,

I likey that makey.

Dean Wormer said...

Great links, snab.

As a nature-centric worldview takes greater signifigance pagans may be cutting edge.

Swinebread said...

"As a nature-centric worldview takes greater signifigance pagans may be cutting edge."

especially when is come to sacrifice...

Just kidding :)

Being divorced form nature is the root of many of our problems IMO

Some Rabid Fundie said...

Only denying nature can save you from the lake of fire!