Wednesday, May 28, 2008

May Go Bye Bye, Part Zwei

Bike update: WD-40 seems to have loosened up the sticky cantilever a bit on the brake. I am going to go ahead and ride it to work tomorrow and see how it goes. Nice to have it back on line! I learn more about those bike thingies every day.

4. A big solo day trip (continued)

I drove through the Dalles, stopped for gas, and continued south on highway 197. I passed through the sleepy town of Dufur (so sleepy it looked like a scene from The Quiet Earth) and proceeded straight towards Mt. Hood on highway 44. Realizing I was heading home, I ventured onward towards a crossroads called Friend. Once I left the highway, the road turned to gravel and the small puffs of cumulus clouds began to grow.



I found a "pioneer" home beside the road, so I stopped to take a snapshot.



I bet the squirrels liked that little place. At Friend, a paved road took me east back to highway 197. I drove onward to Tygh Valley near the Deschutes river. A small town supporting rafters on the world-famous Deschutes River and local farming, Tygh Valley seemed like a good place to eat lunch. I had a reuben sandwich and a beer at the local saloon and proceeding westward up a canyon wall to the high desert plains towards Mt. Hood again. I stopped to snap a picture of Tygh Valley below...



...and a very visually interesting road cut with lots of interbedded sedimentary deposits (mostly forms of ancient volcanic ash I think).



The highway continued westward towards Wamic and I veered off towards Pine Hollow Reservoir. The reservoir appeared to be a rural community of lots from 1/4 acre to several acres with several single and double-width manufactured homes. It looked like the kind of place that would be good for fishing or pretending to be "rural" while still maintaining the TV-dependent lifestyle. The reservoir was pretty though.



I drove back to Wamic with an eye towards that cloud in the first picture which seemed to get bigger and darker by the minute. After a quick trip to see Rock Creek Reservoir (a USFS fee site which I decided not to pay for), I went to back to hwy 197 and proceeded to the highway 216 junction to take me westward once again. This time the clouds were getting SERIOUS. The picture doesn't do justice to the darkness or tallness of the cloud.



On my way westward, I took a detour to see the small collection of buildings comprising the hamlet of Wapinitia.



Continuing on, there was the smallest (and only) glimpse of Mt. Hood barely visible beneath the clouds.



I continued westward climbing back into the Cascade mountains and away from the storm with only a few drops on the windshield to show for all of the darkness. I passed through Pine Grove and kept driving onward. I stopped for a restroom break at the Frog Lake Sno-Park and the snow is definitely hanging on more than it has for years.



At Government Camp, the snow was still plenty deep for skiing long after season and resort closed down their winter facilities.



Then it was onward back towards home. On the west side of the Cascades, the clouds descended to road level and a persistent mist took over until I reached the foothills.



A little over an hour later I was home. My rear end was numb, but it was a good trip. In reality, I was scouting out the region for a possible future homestead. There were some possibilities, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for overall. Ladybug and I still aren't sure exactly what will be best preparing for the empty nest but we will keep searching.

6 comments:

Arkonbey said...

neat trip! I always forget that the PacNorWest has such varied geology, it was cool to see.

That 'pioneer cabin' was great! I love stuff like that. I was mountain biking in the middle of the woods in central Mass and found a very, very old stone cellerhole. Not as cool as a cabin, though because stone last longer than wood anyway.

Gonna go solar/wind at the new digs?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Why were you driving on the wrong side of the road?

(Oh, yeah...)

I don't think I've ever seen Government Camp with so much snow this close to summer. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen Government Camp with a great big "espresso" banner on it, either.

I'm just glad that old pioneer cabins like that are still around for people to enjoy...and devoid of "espresso" banners. (Not that I don't like espresso, mind you.)

Pandabonium said...

That cabin looks like a nice place - needs a little work...

Great pics of a beautiful state. Those clouds do look ominous - something wicked this way comes.

Don Snabulus said...

Ark,

We are going to try if the $$$$ holds out. Tops in my book is good passive solar so we don't need to scramble as much for heating energy.

MM,

I wanted to ram a BLUE RAV4, but none came. I know you were just trying to espress yourself.

PB,

Hey, it has built in solar! Bit of a draft and leaking problem though.

Dean Wormer said...

Dude, I'm so sorry I missed you. We were home most of the day but did have a couple of hours down at moms.

It would be awesome if you guys moved out this way.

Swinebread said...

Great round trip. We did something similar a few years ago.

That Cabin looks very familiar I must have seen it.

How much did you spend of Gas!!!!


Hope the bike is working better.