Wednesday, March 19, 2008

2008: The Odyssey Ends

"Life is just one big banana. Science fiction allows us all to peel open the reality and discover the yellow truth inside." - Arthur C. Clarke

Classic sci-fi author Arthur C. Clarke has passed away. He was 90.

Although mainly known for the "Space Odyssey" series of books and movies, classic novels of the sci-fi genre such as Rendezvous with Rama and Childhood's End, and a whole wealth of short stories and non-fiction works, Clarke was a visionary who was both way ahead of his time and rarely credited for ideas of his that became reality. He is widely considered to have been the first to suggest communication satellites in geosynchronous (i.e. stationary) orbit, but he never received a penny for it. (He said he never patented the idea of communication satellites because he never dreamed it would become a reality in his lifetime...a decision he said probably cost him millions of dollars.) He was also an avid scuba diver and aquatic researcher who ran a diving school in Sri Lanka, where he lived from the late 50s until his recent death.

Rest in peace, Mr. Clarke. May your final odyssey be a good one.

"I want to be remembered most as a writer - if I have given you delight, by all that I have done, let me lie quiet in that night, which shall be yours anon." - Arthur C. Clarke

6 comments:

Dean Wormer said...

Man that bums me out.

I bet we went singing "Daisy."

I hope he's somewhere in the stars.

ladybug said...

I think I read "Childhood's End"...sounds familiar anyway. That's funny, I thought he'd be like Dick Clark..and never die.

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Robots and talking dogs. Way cool.

Pandabonium said...

"Fountains of Paradise" was good too.

He was of the stars, and of earth, as are we all - but he knew while the rest of us merely suppose.

Don Snabulus said...

Mr. Clarke was someone I never really encountered although I'd heard of him many times. I did see 2001 and 2010 though. 2001 was an interesting flick.

Isis said...

Clarke was one of those visionaries whose ideas surpassed mankind's ability to perform. As one commentator said of the movie 2001: A Space Odessy,

"According to this film, in year 2001 we would have had manned voyages to Jupiter, a battle of wits with a sentient computer, and a quantum leap in human evolution. Instead we got the Mir Space Station falling from the sky, Windows XP, and "Freddy Got Fingered."

May your new incarnation, Arthur, be in a place more attuned to your mind.