Monday, February 04, 2008

Mail and Web Change

If you want to email me or Ladybug for the next 24 to 48 hours, you may have mixed results because Snabulus.com is moving to the Brinkster hosted servers. FYI: trying to run a mail server in Windows from home is not worth the bother. I have a strong suspicion the the free version of the Mail Enable server is highly susceptible to spam hackers although I can't prove it. I would buy the professional version only under threat of red hot pokers after this experience. I am not a happy camper, but at least my users will be better taken care of at Brinkster.



On a lighter note, we have an older Flower Power Mac which was suffering from a fuzzy monitor that wasn't worth fixing. I was planning on turning it into a terrarium and possibly another computer. As I was removing various plastic covers in preparation, I found one that hid a familiar looking plug. A VGA plug. I plugged it into my desktop flatscreen and VOILA! I had (mostly) sharp Mac video. Now the computer can be used again without my big teardown job! I bought Ladybug a Mac Mini a couple weeks ago, so the Apple Corporation is overtaking the PCs in my house.

I am contemplating upgrading the Flower Power (G3 600MHz w/ 640MB RAM) to OS X 10.4 from 10.2.8. If anyone has advice on whether that is a good idea (lots of OS9 programs and Virtual PC), let me know.

10 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Listen to what the flower people say
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
Listen, it's getting louder every day
Listen, it's like a bolt out of the blue
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
Listen, it could be calling now for you...ooh-hoo

(refrain)
Flower people walk on by
Flower people don't you cry,
It's not too late
It's not too late
Listen, it's like a Mozart symphony
Listen, it's something just for you and me
Listen, to what the flower people say
Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
Listen; it's getting truer every day
Ah (etc.)
(Repeat refrain)

Don't those people at Apple say "you don't need to know" what's inside the Mac? A hidden VGA plug, eh? Hmm...

Is Mac vs. Mic yet another Hegelian conflict designed to let open source take over the world?

Don Snabulus said...

Dang that Spinal Tap!!!

As long as there is Linux and FreeBSD, the Hegelians are held at bay.

Dean Wormer said...

Soon you'll be calling me, asking me if I have an "open mind" and bringing 8 of your Mac buddies over for a presentation that will be vaguely Amwayish in it's cultish enthusiasm.

Sigh.

ladybug said...

Yay! I love that Flower Power Mac...I'm glad we've found a way to use it in the way it was intended!

Maybe I'll even get back to playing SIMS now 'n' then...

Dave said...

The things I don't like about the mac design is the seeming inability to load up your computer with several CD and DVD ROM drives.

Plus, I would want to plug in a Studio MIDI card.

Software wise, I still don't see MAC leading the pack in software scope and price.

Besides you have too many computers and not enough flower pots.

Some spudboy said...

Yes, especially the type of flowerpot you wear on your head!

Don Snabulus said...

DW,

I might try it with OS/2 but the only other cultist I can find is in Japan and I think he quit the cult.

LB,
Sounds like a plan!

Dave,

The new cool is hooking up external storage gadgets to your USB and Firewire ports and making a wiry mess of your desktop.

PCs do have more software and cost less, but music is one area where the Mac p0wnz the PC. Most studio work is done on Pro Tools for the Mac because their PC version sux.

Finally, I like flowers (using the Color Man voice and inside joke alert).

Don Snabulus said...

I also happen to be looking for the real tomato. (actually I found it)

Pandabonium said...

Forgive me if I am repeating myself. I vaguely remember posting a comment on this before...

You mentioned Virtual PC. I have used it in the past on my PowerBook G4 in order to run a financial software program which required Windows. I hated it. It subjected my computer to all the viruses and the annoying and constant Windows update interruptions that I switched to Mac to avoid in the first place. Supposedly you can run both OSes and switch back and forth. Well, sort of. Virtual PC was a memory HOG (no offense to my porcine animal friends) and everything slowed to a crawl (I have 512 mb of RAM). I got so fed up with it that I bought an inexpensive Toshiba laptop for the sole purpose of running the one Windows software program I used.

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

Virtual PC is definitely all that. It is one of those things that doesn't get much use, but I like having it if I need it. I am also pretty handy at delousing and deporking Windows when needed for a virtual machine.

Back in the day, we spent a mint on OS 9 programs, so it is nice to have a non-Intel Mac on which to run those items.