Thursday, October 18, 2007

New Show: Pushing up Daisies

Pushing Up Daisies = (Narrator from Series of Unfortunate Events) + (Narration style of Amelie) + (60s retro theme of Edward Scissorhands) + (Quirky character types of Ugly Betty or My Name is Earl)

There were some other references in there too. In fact, they may have borrowed the entire pilot episode from other places for all I know. It is a pretty good show, but I am not sure I will keep watching it. In the age of torture being described with pleasant euphemisms, I am not sure another show about moral ambiguity is what I need. The premise is that the main character can touch a dead person/animal/whatever and bring it back to life, but if he touches them again they die. The twist is that if they stay alive for more than one minute, somebody else must die. You can imagine the dilemmas that would come up.

Check out IMDB for more details.

9 comments:

Maximilian Strange said...

I can see it now...

"Tag, you're it!"

"AAAARGGHHHHH!"

PLOP!

Don Snabulus said...

Max,

There is one difference. His touch means nothing if you haven't died yet. He can't kill people except by bringing someone else back to life for more than a minute.

Dean Wormer said...

I don't know, I rather like this show which is why it'll be cancelled.

I guess you could say there's moral ambiguity. The one character the pie maker has killed "on purpose" was a grave robber so they went out of their way to make him a bad guy.

I think the whole thing is very Tim Burtonesque with a bright sweet visual exterior covering a darker premise which itself is covering a really sweet, romantic center.

That's what I really like about the show - the romance between the leads.

Swinebread said...

I've not really watching any new shows any more I bailed on Journeyman, Dirty Sexy Money, Bionic Woman.

Also with Heroes I guess you had to be there from the begining Yawn.

Chuck and pushing daisys look good but I work.
Maybe they should do the on demand thing. that how I got into Jericho.

ladybug said...

Loved the last show when The Pie Maker said, "I'll see if I have anymore of that plastic wrap around..."

(Earlier in the episode, the dead-but-now-alive girlfriend kisses him by holding a huge piece of plastic wrap between them...)

Tee hee!

Don Snabulus said...

DW,

Maybe the Burtonesque element is what bugs me. I like what Tim Burton does, but I feel he recycles too many devices amongst his projects (i.e. bowl cuts, round heads, white skin, skeleton stuff, Danny Elfman creepy music).

SB,

Heroes now has a villain and, gasp, it is a mutant like the good people. I mean, what the Magneto is that? Demand On Demand.

Pandabonium said...

What better way to forget that Dubyah is now talkin' WWIII openly. Tag - we're ALL it!

Pandabonium said...

That was not meant as a sardonic comment on this post by the way, but rather about the times we live in. At least while we still live in them...

ladybug said...

Panda-I hear ya.

But we heard Bush loud and clear-he's a psycho. We will definitely join our voices with the other outraged folks!