Sunday, September 30, 2007

An Oldie but Goodie



Title Bar link takes you to my Butternut Squash recipe - I'll be making it for the Halloween party we're having this year... it's Um-um good! It also tastes better if you make it a day ahead to let the flavors blend. I'll be serving it along with some Baguette crostini, Chicken Apple Walnut Salad (1st recipe) and Pumpkin Spice Cake (see below-it's not like the one in the picture though! Our scanner isn't working...)

2 pkgs spice cake mix
6 eggs
1 can (16 oz) pumpkin
2/3 cup evaporated milk
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups vanilla vanilla baking chips
2 cans (16 oz) vanilla frosting (or make your own)
Red, Yellow & Green food coloring paste
textured paper towel
2 pastry bags & pastry tips #5 round & #352 leaf
1 cup flaked coconut (optional)

In a mixing bowl combine cake mixes, eggs, pumpkin, milk and oil. Beat on low 30 seconds, medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chips. Fill 1 greased muffin cup 2/3 full. Pour remaining batter into two greased and floured 12 cup fluted tube pans. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes for cupcake, 40-45 minutes for cakes. Cool in pans COMPLETELY, then remove.

Level bottom of each cake, spread one cake bottom with frosting, put cake bottoms together to form a pumpkin. Tint about 3/4 of remaining frosting orange (combining Red & yellow), tint the final remainder green. Place cupcake upside down in the center of cake to make a stem, frost with green frosting. Frost the cake with the orange frosting. Let stand, until frosting is slightly stiff, about 30 minutes. Press paper towel lightly into surface to texturize.

Use green frosting and round pastry tip to pipe curly vines from pumpkin stem and base. Use second bag and leaf pastry tip, and holding back at 45 degree angle, pipe leaves randomly along vines.

Color coconut with green food coloring and sprinkle around base of cake.

Notes:
1. I recommend food paste as using regular food coloring gives only a pastel color, not the deep rich green/orange that you want.
2. Making your own frosting is a bit better, the canned kind never quite hardens up.
3. You can skip the whole coconut step, it does look nice, but isn't necessary.
4. If you want lower calories, use applesauce to replace the oil.

7 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Happy Halloween! Sounds yummy. In the salad recipe, I'll skip the chicken - every time I see the words "boneless chicken" I think of Gary Larsen's cartoon depicting a "boneless chicken farm"... you have to have seen it to get the humor...

Anyway, looks like fun in addition to being tasty.

Don Snabulus said...

The great thing about this cake is that it tastes very good. I am not a big cake eater anymore because they all tend to taste like sweet sponges coated with sweetened lard, but this cake has a good, rich flavor and Ladybug applies the frosting without going overboard. Yum!!!

Unfortunately, it doesn't fit well with my weight loss regimen, so I will only have a sliver this year.

Dean Wormer said...

Can I RSVP here?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Can I have one?

ladybug said...

Panda-I have seen it! We have a book of his cartoons, and I grew up (well, when I was in high school) waiting to see his new one every Sunday in "the funnies".

I usually roast the chicken (try to buy local if it's available) myself, and seems to taste alot better than canned.

The Butternut Squash soup is my favorite, it's like crack! (not that I actually know, but ya know what I mean...).

Dean-Yes, you can!

Don-I'll juss give ya a schmidgen!

Swinebread said...

Looks good!

Pandabonium said...

I forgot to mention the soup - right up my alley if I can find any butternut squash here.