Monday, August 20, 2007

Mark your 2017 Calendars



(from the Strange Maps blog)

In the event we don't get nuked in the next 10 years (see post below for details), it looks like we will get a glimpse of a solar eclipse, this time in August. Our last solar eclipse was slightly less exciting because it was a dark, wet February day to begin with. Nonetheless, the darkening sky was eerie and interesting, especially in its rareness. On this rainy August day in 2007, I am more optimistic about our odds for good weather in 10 years.

6 comments:

Pandabonium said...

I remember the total solar eclipse visible from Hawaii in July of 1991. I remember it well because I didn't get to see it. We were socked in with nasty weather. The only people who saw it were on the Bid Island on mountain tops. (sigh).

Don Snabulus said...

PB,

I can't remember which year ours was, but I am thinking early 80s.

The Moody Minstrel said...

The only one I remember happened in either '78 or '79. I remember they had us come to school late because of it.

Swinebread said...

cool map!

Pandabonium said...

There will be a total eclipse of the MOON on Monday night (early Tuesday morning for Oregon, early Tuesday evening in Japan). Check out Earth & Sky for details.

Maximilian Strange said...

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/
y2007/03aug_dreamyeclipse.htm

Actually, its a LUNAR eclipse, and it occurs about 2-4 am in the morning on the west coast.