Saturday, June 09, 2007

Get Out the Bike, Day 1

The MiniSnab and I escaped last weekend to Fort Stevens State Park here in Oregon for a weekend of camping, bicycling, feeding the mosquitoes, and doing a little shopping in Seaside, Oregon.

I reserved a camping spot a few days earlier. A smart person would have chosen a place as far from the lake as possible. A smart, but ill-informed person would choose a site solely on reducing proximity to other campers. I was such an ill-informed person. Our camping site was quiet, but our tent was less than 50 yards (or meters) from a mud bog that was once an outlet of Coffenbury Lake.



Even though we seem to have a LOT of Coleman brand products, it is only by coincidence and not because Coleman paid me the 44 cents in marketing revenues they would generate by having me blog photos full of Coleman swag. I am more likely to get a cease and desist letter from their attorneys now that frivolous lawsuits are now taboo for us normal people and only the necessity of corporations, but I digress.

After a delicious meal of vegetable soup (cooked on a Coleman stove with Coleman propane I hope you ignore) and half a baguette, we set out on our bikes for great things.



Here is the MiniSnab on her bicycle (which is the same model and color as mine, but with a smaller frame). While I was cooking and doing some set up, the MiniSnab found a favorite spot at Coffenbury Lake. That was our first riding destination and she is a good judge of finding good spots. The next stop was the beach and the location of the vessel Peter Iredale (good info link). Somehow in that short time, I wound up with pedal scrapes on both shins and blood on both socks. (I only found out later that I broke a pedal which caused one of the bloody spots.) I was (am) out of shape and a bit rusty i suppose.



The sun is a shade of purple!

I kept an eye on the bikes while MiniSnab checked out the remains of the old hull and did a little dune climbing. We watched the sunset and returned to camp to sit by the fire, try out a failed experiment in wrapping cinnamon roll batter around a stick and trying to cook it by a fire, then went to the tent to sleep.



(All silhouettes are of the MiniSnab)

9 comments:

ladybug said...

I sure like those Beach Pics! I remember once camping there, and we all saw whales sporting off the coast (in that area it's rare).

Hill said...

Oh, cool pixs!!!!

Camping is always such an adventure, yes?

BTW, love the COLEMAN products.

:-)

Pandabonium said...

Camping, bicycling, beach combing, 100 year old shipwreck - wow, cool outing. Like the pics too.

What's camping without mosquitoes?

Isis said...

That's not a purple sun. It's the grape flavored Kool-Aid Man! Oh, yeah!

The Moody Minstrel said...

What's camping without mosquitoes?

What's camping without Coleman? Hey, until they get some decent competition they have no business complaining! Coleman has the market on camping supplies cornered even here in Japan.

And I doubt Bob & Doug McKenzie would live very long without their Coleman.

Dean Wormer said...

That is a wonderful post. Thanks for sharing the pix of camping.

Looks like fun.

Swinebread said...

Last time I camped at Ft. Stevens, Mt. St. Helens blew up.

Pandabonium said...

Swinebread - the eruption was probably caused by your improper priming of your Coleman stove.

"News - the camper told reporters, "I just touched a match to my stove and whole mountain blew up."

Swinebread said...

I knew IT!