Tuesday, May 01, 2007

May Day in the Park!


Snabby and I got up early to get to the Rose Garden by 5:30 am. It wasn't as cold as last year, (thank goodness!), but it was cloudy & overcast, so there wasn't a nice clear sunrise. In the twilight, the day started off w/a lone Bagpiper at first light, then a little later the haunting Abbot's Bromley Horn Dance. Then it all got lively with some audience-participation Morris Dancing lead by the Bridgetown Morris Men.

Then we had a procession of traditional English dances by several local groups. This first one is from the North of England, by Iron Mountain Sword.



Among the dancing troupes is Wild Rose Garland, and here's a pic of these ladies in action! (They also provide the May Pole for this function as well).


There was also Renegade Rose Morris which has alot of women and children in their ranks, (the picture shows a stick dance)


Alot of fun was had by all, (though the public gathering was a bit smaller than last year-fine by me as it was easier to see the dancers!). I think I enjoyed best that all the music was done by and for the participants - no electronic amplification! )There was an Irish drum, hammered dulcimer, fiddles, squeeze boxes, a harp, guitars, and piccolo). I hope to bring in the next May Day dancing at the sunrise again!

10 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Tra la! It's May!
The lusty month of May!
That lovely month when ev'ryone goes
Blissfully astray.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Ah, that sounds fantastic! Wish I were there...

Oh, well. I'm listening to lots of Celtic music today, anyway.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Uh, oh...watch out! Panda hormone alert!

Dean Wormer said...

Man that looks like fun...

Only thing that would've made it perfect would've been a troop of pipers.

Swinebread said...

May Day... if it's during the week I do nothing... :(

ladybug said...

Yea, it's hard to swing if it's not recognized by some civil institution.

The most amazing thing is almost everywhere else, it is also a Labor holiday, to celebrate the workers.

I think the real reason for May Day's lack of celebration in the USA is it's association w/Communism (it was always the biggest holiday in the former Soviet Union).

ladybug said...

Panda-You got it! "Camelot" is one of my favorite musicals, I even have a cassette tape of Julie Andrews & Richard Burton from the 1960's Broadway Show!

(Second only to my Don Quioxte cassette, from again, the 1960's Broadway show...)

Don Snabulus said...

I went with Ladybug and it was an enjoyable experience even if my knee and back were both acting up on me.

As an added bonus, there was an audience dance so I got to do something I rarely get a chance to: dance with my lovely Ladybug. I think she enjoyed it too even though her partner had a pronounced limp.

Pandabonium said...

Panda hormones indeed. After hibernating through an Ibaraki winter, it's time to play.

I like Camelot and had fun playing in the pit orchestra for the Maui Community Theater performance of it.
(I also like the 1981 movie "Excalibur".)

Looks like great fun there.

Hill said...

Wow. That sounds really neat. We don't have those kinds of festivals around here. Only hippie/CW stuff.