Friday, April 20, 2007

Friday Flashback: October 1996 The Well Connected Office

It is time to get your Geek on for this flashback. Back in the day, I wrote a few articles for a monthly local magazine called Computer Bits. Sadly, they are now defunct, but a similar magazine called Computer Chips has taken up their gauntlet and continued the tradition.

I was an OS/2 aficionado in those days like some people are part of the Cult of the Mac today. As IBM slowly but surely pounded OS/2 into oblivion, I ended up becoming the Windows guru that I am today.

This article shows covers basic networking in an OS/2 environment but it also contains some concepts that are generic in terms of both current and historical value. If you are setting up a home network, it might even be worth a peak.


The Well-Connected Office

Using OS/2 to network PCs in the small office ... by Don Limbaugh

"So, Don. You're in charge of networking the office. Can you handle that?" "Sure," I replied.

I managed a confident smile and concealed a golf ball size lump in my throat. A network. Lovely. I suppose I need to be a CNE, know SNA and TCP/IP, be able to use a Novell and a BNC and set up a 10-Base-T. That's a big 10-4. No problem. Huh?

So began my trial-by-fire of networking our three office PCs (now we have six). Learning a new bunch of buzzwords is no fun, especially when it comes to networking. Many people who know about networking paid cash for their training and are not going to water down their investment by giving away free information. The good news is that there are a couple of ways to share hard drives, printers, e-mail, and game strategies without becoming a walking TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) encyclopedia.

Read the rest here

12 comments:

Swinebread said...

I learned this stuff in school but I forgot it all! God Bless Americal!

Overdroid said...

I hate networking. But it can't be avoided.

ladybug said...

This is important stuff - even though I can't do anything w/it.

Some computer nerd somewhere out in two-bit heaven thanks you!

Pandabonium said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pandabonium said...

I tried that once, nothing to it! Picture here: Panda's Network.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I'd avoid networking if I could, but life continues to conspire against me.

*sigh* I miss OS/2...but I definitely do NOT miss IBM Tech (lack of) Support.

Don Snabulus said...

Yeah, you had much more Snabulus support than IBM support.

The Moody Minstrel said...

You said it. IBM is the only company I've ever encountered which actually advised me NOT to use their product.

Dean Wormer said...

Can I do this with my C-64 and Vic-20?

Don Snabulus said...

Yep.

I found a page that claims you can set up an ethernet node on a Commodore 64. They even have a streaming music server set up on it.

Freaking amazing.

Dean Wormer said...

Holy cow.

I was just kidding, of course.

That's awesome!

DewKid said...

I think I broke the server. Dang.