Wednesday, April 11, 2007

At Least Kilimanjaro is Safe


Kurt Vonnegut (1922 - 2007)


The Bokononist faith took a large hit today when Kurt Vonnegut died. He was 84. According to this article in Yahoo! News,

Vonnegut once said that of all the ways to die, he'd prefer to go out in an airplane crash on the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro. He often joked about the difficulties of old age.


but in actuality he died a much simpler and common death...

Vonnegut, who often marveled that he had lived so long despite his lifelong smoking habit, had suffered brain injuries after a fall at his Manhattan home weeks ago, said his wife, photographer Jill Krementz.


I must admit I was not the most avid Vonnegut reader, but Cat's Cradle sticks with me even until today. His description of the substance Ice Nine and its effects are still vivid in my mind decades after I read about them.

One of the few who actually learn from war, Vonnegut has taught us much in his writings. I shall miss his self-deprecating, yet still rapier wit and I only hope I am as sharp in my 80s as he was.

I like the cut of his jib, that's for sure.

6 comments:

Overdroid said...

We do, doodley do, doodley do, doodley do,
What we must, muddily must, muddily must, muddily must;
Muddily do, muddily do, muddily do, muddily do,
Until we bust, bodily bust, bodily bust, bodily bust.

Hill said...

As you point out, he was UNIQUE in the fact he learned from war. Too bad the warmongers in the White House never learned this lesson.
Oh, wait, I forgot. They never actually served in war.
BTW, nice to meet you. And hello from the Hill Country of Texas.
And NO, Dubya is NOT from here.

ladybug said...

It's sad he left this world, I would have liked to see just a little bit more of his work, some more caustic wake up comments on the scene today.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Ooh...another book to add to my "must read" list (along with about a hundred others)!

Don Snabulus said...

Overdroid: Well put

Hill: Welcome to Snabulusville. Yep, Vonnegut served in WW II, just like Gore Vidal and unlike the 30 biggest blabbermouths on cable news (except Oliver North, who is a traitor, but I digress). Have fun here.

Ladybug: Me too. Sigh.

Moody: I hear that. My physical book pile for imminent reading is piling up too.

Swinebread said...

Too bad he is gone but you can't live forever.

i'm a Slaughterhouse-Five kinda guy myself