Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Voice blogging

(this blog entry was entered using voice recognition software and I have done only minor editing. Some humorous software faux pas are left for your amusement.)

I thought, for this entry, I would use my voice to do the data entry. I bought a new product called Dragon NaturallySpeaking 92 facilitate my road blogging. I am hoping that using this software will enable this little tiny computer to do what I really wanted it to which is to become a truly mobile device.

After about three minutes of voice training, the system learns your voice and interprets what you're saying. I would say it is a pretty good job considering my voice in the way I sometimes munge words. I am interested to see how well it does in a jet airplane however. I will have the chance on Thursday because I am traveling to San Jose for a business meeting.

Even though it is fun to use a voice recognition product to do my blogging, I am must tell you that I was using a similar product way back in 1996 that was available for free in an operating system called OS/2. I will admit however, that Dragon NaturallySpeaking does do a much better job of recognizing my voice than OS/2 did. On the other hand, OS/2 was able to do the same thing with 4 MB of RAM instead of the one gate and that I am taxing by using Dragon.

In other news, we suffered a large-scale fish die off in our aquarium this week. While I am suspicious that our old friend DewKid may have called this incident, it is also true that our thermostat was way off in its automated temperature sensing and we could have actually fried fish in their own juices because the water was about 15° too warm. For those who read through all the comments in my past embodying new experiences recently, you may have read that DewKid's fish, Ninja, eliminated all the other fish in the tank using the violent means. We are wondering whether our angelfish, Genghis con, is guilty of the same act. The evidence, however, is inconclusive. Just to be on the safe side, somewhere is going to fish out Genghis Khan, and we are going to trade him in at a fish store for some less violent species.

It took a stroll today through the Tualatin Hills nature Park and signs of spring abound. There were a number of Trillium flowers growing near the trail as well as stream violets, a fair number of tree blossoms, and some little pink flowers near the trails age that looked like something I can to candy flowers.

Well, if I had best head to bed here so I am fresh and ready for the big corporate meeting tomorrow. You all know how much I look forward to that. Have a great night and a better tomorrow. I would never have actually typed that but it sees an easy thing to say Good wishes are sometimes that way.

9 comments:

Overdroid said...

I am sorry to hear of the death of your fishes. We recently had also an end to the fish in are tanks. There is one fishes still living but he swims on the side all the time. Also we have in another tank our beta fish named alexander. He is getting old and brain four camp.

The Moody Minstrel said...

All your base are belong to us.

ladybug said...

I heard the trial session first-hand...tee-hee (it was a little more x-rated than this version). Amazing what technology can do nowadays - now I hope I won't need this kind of thing due to physical disability!

Swinebread said...

Genghis Khan is a good name for that fish I guess...

Hey now you can name one of the new fish you get after Tori Spelling after the post I did. Or Maybe fish face... :)

Pandabonium said...

Sorry about the fishies. Perhaps the new one should be "Ghandi".

I had some voice recognition software about ten years ago but I could never get it to understand me well.

Overdroid said...

I love that your fish was called Genghis Khan! One of mine really is called Alexander.


We must be related.

Pandabonium said...

Oh, leave it to my voice recognition software to misspell "Gandhi". ;^)

The Moody Minstrel said...

All your voice recognition software are belong to us.

Let's be stereotypical: name the new fish Wanda.

Pa've said...

Buy more than one fish and name one of them Moody, Pa've, and Snabulus, then we'll see who eats who first!

The real trouble with voice recognition software was made obvious in the Dilbert Cartoon, when Wally said to Dilbert, "This could be risky, some one might come up behind you and say "DELETE FILE!""