Friday, January 05, 2007

Friday Kool-Aid Blogging

The question is whether this...



...will ever become this...



More Kool-Aid needed

By JEFF BARNARD Associated Press

GRANTS PASS, Ore. – Dreams of getting author Ken Kesey's original psychedelic bus, Furthur, back on the road again have hit a pothole.

A Kesey friend says restoring the bus would infuse '60s reality into the 21st century.

The Kesey family is looking for a new sponsor to finance restoration work and a TV documentary after breaking things off with Hollywood restaurant owner David Houston, who had hoped to raise $100,000 to restore the bus made famous in Tom Wolfe's 1968 book, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test.





This falls into the category of "Things to do if I win the Lottery." The psychedelic pic at the top of the post can be found with other tintinnabulatious color explosions at Key-Z Productions.

Update: Wow! This may be the real deal! (found it at the Key-Z site)

6 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Have you ever read The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test ? It's a really trippy book (no pun intended). That was certainly an interesting group of people.

Pandabonium said...

Seems odd to me to refer to CIA drug induced psychedelic artifacts as 60's "reality". It was anything but - on many levels.

Don Snabulus said...

MM,
I read part of it. It was trippy enough to lose my interest fairly quickly so I never finished it.

PB,

I would value hearing your elaborations on the subject if you are of a mind to do so. (I can even post it here if you don't think it fits your blog theme.)

Seymour said...

Looks like they were too high to park it in a garage.

Leaving anything out in the Oregon rain for 40 years is a bad idea, just look at the I-5 bridge, that's all messed up.

Pandabonium said...

Gosh, I don't know. I was old enough in the late 60's to remember this stuff. Not into drugs or the hippie movement myself, but had friends who were. I was also politically active (as a libertarian/conservative), knew people recruited by the CIA and had some very weird experiences with that kind of thing. Back then, if it had to do with civil rights or peace or alternative culture, it was infiltrated by CIA, FBI, etc.

The true history of the sixties and early seventies in America has been swept under the rug to large degree. The realities that are acknowleged are usually compartmentalized so that people don't integrate them into their concepts of the history of the country, but talk about them as abstract events.

I don't know if what I would have to say would be of much interest, or perhaps even believed, today. I'll think about it.

Don Snabulus said...

I hear you. Always enjoy your comments PB.