Monday, October 16, 2006

Fort Bean Looks Complete



If you can remember back about a year ago, I was working on Fort Bean. After deciding to rip out our wooden deck, I had what I thought was a brilliant idea to save money and do something useful with all that wood. I saved a small amount of money, but I thankfully burned up a few hundred hours of labor creating an unique space for our daughter, the Bean, to hang out with friends, stash weapons and armor, and other things kids her age like to do. After weathering the rainy season, I waited out a long series of overtime periods at work. The project finally started up again this September.



This is me nailing up wall planks. I ran out of wood before finishing the walls, so I made the decision to use clear, corrugated PVC sheets to finish off the tops of the walls. Since this is a shady spot, the added light was very welcome.



The Bean helped me hang the door and now she has a kinda cool place to roost. The number of imperfections and oopses were nearly infinite, but, in the end, I think it was all worth it. We splurged for some solar-powered lights for the front and interior that charge by day and illuminate by night. Hopefully, they work well.


Fort Bean is christened!

8 comments:

Genevieve said...

It looks like a really neat place to play.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Can I have one?

Dean Wormer said...

very nice!

But who is the knucklehead in the red shirt?

Don Snabulus said...

A Rajneeshee I think.

ladybug said...

Can't wait to try it out-maybe we'll post pics of a family nite hippie lantern fest...

Pandabonium said...

Way cool. Rustic looking enough, as a fort should be, yet with practical modern touches like the PVC sheets and solar powered lights. Your next problem will be getting the The Bean to come back in the house when you want her to.

Dean Wormer said...

A Rajneeshee I think.

Remind me not to eat salad at your house.

DewKid said...

Just wonderin' what a couple sticks of dynamite would do to that structure (no-one inside, of course). That bean bag would make it look like it was snowing afterwards.

... and you'd probably get a rather complainy police officer knocking at your door.

Ngark.