Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Colorado on the Fly

A few weeks ago, I flew to Colorado to provide software customer support. It was a short-notice flight. I solved their problems quickly and I was fortunate to be able to take my rental car on a short excursion through Boulder and up into the mountains. Unfortunately, I didn't buy my camera until I reached a town called Estes Park. These pictures were taken during an afternoon drive through the Rockies...enjoy.



This is outside of the hotel where the inside shots of The Shining were filmed. Huh? What I mean is that the indoor scenes from the Jack Nicholson film were shot from the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, Colorado. Oregon lovers know, of course, that the outdoor shots of the hotel were taken at Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood in Oregon.



The weather was mostly dry, but sprinkles were always nearby.





This is a view from Lily Lake. It is amazing how quickly one gains elevation here. Lily Lake sits along the highway at just under 9,000m ft (over 2,700 m). The only road in Oregon that I know travelling that high is the one to the top of Steens Mountain and it is NO highway.



Chances are good that the precipitation on Longs Peak was snow. At over 14,000 feet (4,200+ m), it is no surprise.



Part castle, part church...this building sits over a pond and stands out from the autumn colors.



It turns out that the Colorado Blue Spruce grows wild here. Who would have guessed?





...and just as I am running out of film, the sun finally peaks through to turn a small stand of quaking Aspen into a shimmering golden salute to a wonderful afternoon and evening.

8 comments:

ladybug said...

It looks so great, I'd love to visit in Autumn, or maybe late Spring. Maybe next time take the whole fam damily? Maybe take a movie trivia side trip to Colorado Springs- the NORAD site from "War Games" w/Matthew Broderick...and Aly Sheedy.

OR not, maybe just hang out!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Aren't those short-notice trips wonderful? Serendipity rules!

Pandabonium said...

Wow. I am sooooo jealous! I LOVE Estes Park. As a kid I went to a summer camp just outside of the town and sent my daughters there as well. Then one summer we went there to pick them up and the four of us went horseback riding and hiking in the Rocky Mountain National Park. That is such beautiful country. Thank you for the pics.

Ladybug - you gotta go sometime. Make it family trip.

Dean Wormer said...

You didn't say anything about Harrison Ford.

He owns a ranch there, I think. Or maybe it's Wyoming.

Anyhoo- did you run into him?

Seymour said...

I had the same Brain-Numbing experience when I visited Utah. Its like being on an alien world, so beautiful, but so deadly!

Its hard to get out of the lush greens of Western Oregon sometimes. The rest of the West seems like a barren, rocky wasteland. Which it is, compared to our mouldy existence.

Its still pretty, though. But Deadly! Oh so Deadly....

Just ask Lewis and Clarke and their 3,019 causulties!

Don Snabulus said...

Ladybug - We'll go! Yay.

MM - This trip was good. That is not always the case.

PB - Hopefully I brought up some good memories. I would like to know which camp so we can consider it for the little bean.

DW - I saw one guy running from a rolling rock...oh wait, that was your brother.

Seymour - Are you accusing these pioneers of causing 9/11?

Pandabonium said...

Wonderful memories, thanks Don.

The camp is Cheley, founded in 1921 and still run by the Cheley family.
http://www.cheley.com

By the way, that beautiful stone church was built in the 1930s by Msgr. Joseph J. Bosetti and is now part of "Camp Saint Malo Catholic Retreat, Conference & Spiritual Center".

Anonymous said...

There are no shots from The Shining shot inside the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park. Those were all shot on a sound stage in England. The TV mini-series of the same name was filmed inside the hotel.