Thursday, July 27, 2006

Knee News is Good News

so far anyway. The doc is pretty sure I didn't screw up anything major in the knee. He gave me a steroid shot (good thing I ain't a pro athlete) and that has really helped. It is still crunchy and it catches me painfully at odd moments, but if all that goes away in a couple weeks, then I am okay. If not, then I get an MRI we start discussing knee surgery.

He must have been bored because he also brought me in for 3 mole removals/biopsies below my other knee on the calf. Apparently you don't want the little devils turning black or growing and I had a few like that.

On a lighter note, Day 4 was our best day of the camping/outdoorsy trip with the most pix so I will try to churn that post out soon.

7 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Why does "crunchy" make me feel queezy?

Anyway, glad it isn't too bad.

Zap those mole thingies. Sooner the better.

Pandabonium said...

Please do a lot of research before agreeing to any knee surgery to make sure it is absolutely necessary and will be effective. I don't pretend to be a doctor, but as a friend I urge you to look into it thoroughly if that topic should come up.

Don Snabulus said...

Those are good points I will bear in mind as we go forward. I definitely want healthy knees into the future so I can do more hiking until I am an old(er) man.

Thanks!

DewKid said...

I'll second Pandabonium's plea. My mentor at OHSU forever had a bad knee that she attributed to an unnecessary knee surgery. Once, when I hurt my own knee (falling down carrying groceries, while riding a skateboard... dont ask), I came fairly close to getting involved in all that. She ultimately convinced me to take care of it other ways, and now its as good as new.

Glad to hear you are getting them moles checked out. Can't be too careful in that area!

Later!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Okay, I'm back from Aussieland now (arrived this morning!), so I can say:

Do you have any idea what caused the crunchiness in the first place? From your description, it sounds like it just happened spontaneously. Did I miss something, or did you fail to mention something?

I'm off to music training camp tomorrow morning...bye again!

Seymour said...

Yeah, I got to say, the whole "crunchiness" thing, well, ouch! And, by the way..., ouch! And, did I mention, OUCH!

Crunchiness \= well being

Time to take a bike tour of the Sisters, dude. Your knee will thank you.

Pa've said...

Sorry to hear you injured your knee. Did that myself once, and I also have a small bone growth under the knee I injured, but i didn't need surgery, thank God, but my dad has had several knee surgeries, and it is definitely something that has risks, as often times, if they end up scraping the bone, chips get left in the joint.

you could have a split miniscus if you did it while hopping around like that, I don't know if that can healon its own, I have known someone who did get surgery, but did much better afterward.