Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Strawberry Time!


It's time! Get to your local Farmer's Market, Roadside Farmstand, or even your neighborhood supermarket! Title bar link takes you to recipes and other info for Oregon Strawberries! (Like the old-timey pic of picking strawberries near Mt. Hood?).

Although my siblings and I picked onions and radishes for many summers, most Oregon kids spents summers picking strawberries; picker's buses (rented school buses) would come and pick up kids when we lived in Happy Valley. Sadly, most of that is gone, with the rules about under-14 age kids working, and the city truck farms' lots' sold to developers....

This past Sunday, Bean & I made Strawberry Freezer Jam. It's so much quicker and easier than the boil bath canning method. She says she prefers our homemade jam to what's bought in the store, "It tastes more like real fruit!". We're just finishing up the Marionberry Jam from last summer.

Just buy some pectin designed for freezer jam. You'll need some jam jars & lids if you don't already have them as well as some sugar. Then get the fruit, rinse well, cut off the tops, slice'em w/an egg slicer. Mash'em up to your desired level of chunkiness.* Measure the amount of fruit & sugar it says on the package of pectin, fill cleaned & sterilized jars. Let stand for 30 minutes or so (it says on the package). Put in freezer, enjoy!

*If you really like it smooth, hang it in a cheesecloth to strain-now you'll have jelly instead of jam

In any case, if you miss the strawberries this year, blackberries & raspberries come into season later in the Summer. Also you don't have to slice them up, you just rinse them well & pick out any bad'uns!


14 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Hey, the link has a recipe for Strawberry Pave'.

For some reason, that gives me the willies.

The Moody Minstrel said...

INDUSTRIAL-STRENGTH MEGADROOL!!!!

DewKid said...

What's that freakshow doing in that second picture. Using a dissecting scope to examine the friggen strawberries!! He sure looks happy about it too. What a fruit!!

I remember picking strawberries.... ONCE. I don't like strawberries, and I don't like picking them, so it dawned on me (donned?) (snabbied?) that I should probably not be picking the damned things. That and working alongside Phu made me look pretty pathetic, because he could pick like 5 buckets to my one. Sheesh!

Actually, I'm pretty pathetic anyway, but that's another story.

ladybug said...

I love strawberries, but CAN'T STAND watermelon.

I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't like it. I'm happy to fix it for my family, just as long as I don't have to eat it!

The 2nd pic is from the Agricultural Dept. of Oregon, probably รก la "we do research on these berries, look at all the work we do!"

Seymour said...

Hey, at least he's not slicing up rat brains! :]

Pandabonium said...

Reminds of my childhood in S Calif. when we'd buy them from the roadside stands next to the fields. Yum.

Seymour said...

One of the funnier things I ever saw was when my friend Greg and I were picking strawberries one summer. It had rained the night before, and a field mouse had crawled in one of the berry buckets and drowned. So Greg cuddles it in his hand and walks around to the little kids poking the mouse saying, "Wake up! Wake up! Why won't my friend wake up anymore?"

Yep, pretty funny.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I remember Greg also telling me about one time he went berry picking and some grade-school-aged kid started following him around showering him with verbal abuse. Greg had no idea who the kid was, let alone why he was tormenting him, but he kept his cool while the little punk kept up a constant stream of four-letter words and the word "faggot".

Finally, while Greg was eating lunch, the kid ran up to him and upended a can of root beer over his head. That did it. Greg grabbed the kid. Then he proceeded to crush the can of root beer...while the kid was still holding it. The little punk ran away screaming and was never seen again.

I was one of the few that never went berry-picking. My parents wouldn't allow it, saying that it was "unnecessary" and bad for the health. Maybe I should thank them.

Pandabonium said...

I had a friend - Dave - who worked for Lockheed in Burbank. Durning one of the down cycles in aerospace he was layed off. Lost his boat, his car, his house, then his wife, everything.

Dave didn't give up. He made a deal with a farmer just outside the valley and went to work selling strawberries door to door.

One day a beautiful woman came to the door in a negligee and after Dave offered the strawberries, invited him into the house "to talk about it".

Dave just started crying. When the woman asked why he told her about his story. How he lost his great job, pension, boat, car, house, his wife, everything. Then he added, tearfully, "and now you're trying to screw me out of my stawberries!"

ladybug said...

In the now famous words of Frank Zappa's offspring Moon Unit, "OMIGAWD!"

That's a great story!

Cayacmg-Caribbean Voodoo for a "wink-wink-nudge-nudge-know-what-I-mean-know what-I-mean"

DewKid said...

That must be Strawberry Pave'.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Strawberry Pa've forever!

Pa've said...

I love strawberries, but I hates to pick 'em. Especially little ones, it takes forever to fill up a tray.

Strawberry Pave' a street full of mashed strawberries?

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

Let me take you down cause we're going to...strawberry pa've...it's all the rave....