Wednesday, May 03, 2006

May Day!


May Day is not celebrated much in North America, but Bean & I were able to usher in the full bloom of Spring with the help of some local folks. Title bar links takes you to the Wikipedia complete history entry. Beltane, as this festival is also known, has some rather "randy" fertility aspects as well as associations with the labor movement.

We met May Day with a sunrise celebration in Washington Park (in the International Rose Test Garden) by the Renegade Rose Morris dancing group. They had several other English style folk dancing group and of course a Maypole!

We also revived a long dead tradition I did when I was a small child. Bean & I made May Day baskets of liliacs (what we had in bloom in our yard at the moment), attatched them to the various neighbors door knobs, ring the door bell and ran away! It's a nice little surprise that's kind of cute. Everyone seems to enjoy it.

Finally, here's a link to some German customes, and a recipe for Maywein, sometimes known as Maybowle (May punch) in it's non-alcholic form.

12 comments:

DewKid said...

Sounds like more fun than I had that day, since I had to work. :(

Speaking of work, has Don finally been completely swallowed by it? I haven't heard a single peep (or ngark) from him in some time (weeks?). Heck, there hasn't even been a caption contest!

Hope all is well. :-)

ladybug said...

He's in Philly this week, plus last couple of weeks had a mini-vacation (more about that later), sent the Bean to France & back w/her school, me working, etc., !

I forgot to mention we also went to the Japanese Gardens on the Sunday before (April 30th). Bean & I took pics, maybe we'll post some!

DewKid said...

Man, I thought WE were busy!! Okay, well I guess I give him a pass! Definitely would love to see the pics! I bet Moody would love to see what Japanese gardens look like. ;-)

Don Snabulus said...

I've been a busy boy for sure. I suspect it will last for a bit longer too until I finish up some software I am working on.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Ironically, May Day was the only day this week that I had to work, as I have a full week of vacation starting from the 2nd.

Ah, May baskets! I remember once doing the "place flowers, knock, and run" with some friends on May Day back when I was in the 3rd grade. After we'd finished the street and were heading back, a tall, scary-looking guy walked up to us menacingly and said, "If I find the punk that left flowers on my porch and banged on my door, I'm gonna get 'im!"

I guess not everybody enjoys that tradition.

Hey, really beautiful Japanese gardens are always fun! They're not as widespread as you think!

saba said...

Started my organic spring course on the first of May..so no i dont think everyone celebrates may day lol...esp me

Pandabonium said...

Gewurtstraminer!

Anonymous said...

Eltigris : Moody maybe you should have left him a flaming bag of poo next time on mayday...probably made him happier...he can understand that... *Snarf*

Anonymous said...

Eltigris:
we should have a "Snabulus" day too...

have a snabulus theme song... and definitions of words based on snabulus.

"Snabuluslocity .... Snabulusclosity ..how it helps and hinders for us...

to be proud of snabby marmalade drops raining down on earth from heaven ...
pledge to snabulusness are we! ...

(refrain) Snabulus! - Fabulous! - Marvelous! rah rah rah sis boom bah!"

Snabulon- Japanese monster type that ponderously attacks certian city targets and political extremes. Roughly one godzilla unit

Snabulonis- much like the above but faster ...maybe flies and shoots lasers out of nostrils and bumblebee missles similar to that by evil looking dogs.

feel free to edit folks

The Moody Minstrel said...

I thought I already made (and recorded) a "Snabulus" song several years ago...

DewKid said...

No, that was a nabulus song. Now kiss my S!

Riley said...

Smeat?