Thursday, March 16, 2006

St. Pat's Penultimate Main Dish

I realized I've only a day to get you all this "very important" info - the week got away from me! This is the only Corned Beef recipe I like, and of course I serve it with potatoes, you may do mashed or simply boiled to fall-apart goodness, as you desire~!


Corned Beef and Cabbage, Crafting Traditions, Reiman Publications, Mar/Apr 1996, pg. 17. Recipe attributed to Connie Lou Blommers.

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsps finely grated orange peel
2 tsps yellow mustard
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 corned beef brisket (2-3 pounds)
2 medium onions, sliced
2 quarts water
1 cup apple juice
8 carrots, cut into 3 inch pieces
1 small head cabbage

In a small bowl, combine the first four ingredients; set aside. In a Dutch oven, place corned beef and seasoning packet. Add onions, water and apple juice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until meat is tender. Remove brisket from cooking liquid and place in a greased roasting pan. Rub sugar mixture over warm meat. Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, add carrots to cooking liquid. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Cut cabbage into eight wedges, leaving a portion of the core on each wedge; add to carrots. Cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. Thinly slice meat; serve with the vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.

Notes:
1-I usually double the brown sugar mixture part of this recipe. It's surprisingly tasty and everyone wants a little bit on their piece of meat!
2-I use French's yellow mustard.
3-Most supermarket Corned Beef that's sold in the US has a little seasoning packet included in the packaging.
4-I cook the meat a little longer, as that lets the brown sugar/clove mixture carmelize a little more. I don't use a roasting pan, but a glass baking dish which I've covered well with oil. The brown sugar mixture can be messy to clean up, so you may want to line your baking dish w/aluminum foil as well.

2 comments:

Seymour said...

I made this today, the 18th. It was awesome! Never had Corned Beef and Cabbage before. Ate it while watching the Quiet Man. Can't get much more Irish than that.

ladybug said...

Great! I bought some corned beef in the store a couple of days ago to make it at a later date.

Yippee!