Thursday, March 16, 2006

St. Pat's Dessert Climax!

Alright, last but not least, a little light finish for the St. Pat's Irish meal! I usually make this a day ahead, as it takes a little time to do the shamrocks properly.

Lucky Lime Salad, Crafting Traditions, Reiman Publications, Mar/Apr 1996, pg. 17.

1 package (3 oz) lime gelatin
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 package (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1/4 tsp lemon juice
2 cups whipped topping [softened]
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained [optional]
SHAMROCKS
1 package (6 oz) lime gelatin
2 1/2 cups boiling water

In a bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold water. Chill until slightly thickened. Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon juice and whipped topping until smooth; stir into gelatin. Fold in pineapple, [if using]. Pour into and oiled 9-in square dish. Chill until firm, about 3 hours. For shamrocks, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Pour into an oiled 11-in x 7-in x 2-in pan. Chill until firm, at least 3 hours. Using a 2-in shamrock shaped cookie cutter [oiled as well], cut plain green gelatin into nine shamrocks. Cut gelatin in the 9-in pan into nine squares; top each square with a gelatin shamrock. Yield: 9 servings

Notes:
1-It's important that the cream cheese & whipped topping (I use Cool Whip) are at room temperature, otherwise they will not mix well. Sometimes I add a smidgen more lemon juice for flavor.
2-I HATE pineapple in gelatin desserts, I've always left it out.
3-Tips & Tricks for getting perfect shamrocks:
a-Oil everything well -(the pan, the cookie cutter & a small spatual).
b-Second, I very gently mark the 9-in pan into 9 equal squares beforehand, so I can center the shamrocks perfectly on each slice - I don't recommend trying to get the slices out before serving, (unlike the recipe says).
c-Third, to get the shamrocks out with out distorting the shape, I place the cookie cutter cleanly into the jello, leave it in, cut away the surrounding
jello, slide the small spatula underneath the form that's left, lift off the cookie cutter, then use a butter knife to move the shamrock from the spatula onto the space reserved in the pan.

3 comments:

Seymour said...

Heh heh, you said Climax!

DewKid said...

Green jello climax. Those are my favorite. mmmmmmm

I see you don't use a lot of Meat Thins in your recipes. You really should: that meaty goodness will liven up any dish! Mmmm I love those Meat Thins!

Some leprechaun said...

Well, bliggle me boggins! It's about time ye put something greeeeen on this smorgasbord of Eire, I say!

Cead mi faille!