Friday, March 03, 2006

Ranking the Blazers

Well, the Blazers traded away a few players and got a couple new ones. This messed up my ranking system that I posted here last week. I had to do it all over again. Here are the results:



There are a couple of new players and Brian Skinner shows up as a top guy right off the bat in both rebounding and (lack of) turnovers. Just for fun, I ran my weighted statistics on some really good players just to see how they stacked up against each other and the Blazers. All of them scored significantly better than the best Blazer (Zach Randolph). From top to almost top, the order was: Tim Duncan, Shaquille O'Neal, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, and Alan Iverson. It seems as though my weighted scoring system is somewhat biased towards centers, but that might be okay since they do often have a big impact. As I mentioned to Blazer Prophet in last week's comments, this isn't the BCS so nothing is riding on this calculation. It might be fun to see if there is a way to download XML of the stats to try a weighted system for everyone. Jolly good fun, eh?

My simple ranking system is an obvious waste of math (Steve Nash would have been the 9th best Blazer? I don't think so). The weighted system is doing okay, but I think there are a few shortcomings that need some looking at. I used the same weighting system as last week.

The really unfortunate thing is that I might be about the only one who is interested in this. It wouldn't be the first time.

9 comments:

Pandabonium said...

Well, hell, it's better than thinking about the Iraqi civil war, nuclear proliferation, and the end of the world as we know it. Right I for one am getting rather weary of all the above.

So, "Go Trail Blazers" and what ever. Just please god give us something normal like this to grab on to. And thank you Snabby for bringing some sanity back to our world.

Philrod Piddlewaif said...

INCONSEQUENTIAL!!!!!

Pandabonium said...

Looks like the bottom four could be fired and not missed. The surprise is Outlaw who drops from 1st to 10th. How come?

(Piddlewaif is obviously not a betting man.)

DewKid said...

[snrk] [snrkle] who.. wha..? Oh, statistics again? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:-P

orakku - oral haikku

Pa've said...

Bouncy bouncy bouncy ball,

I see you bounce up off the wall,

Then I turn and trip and fall,

That is how I play basket ball!

Momo the Wonder Dog said...

How many pointy-hatted klowns are on the trail blazers?

Just asking.

Riley said...

I don't know about pointy hats, but it's pretty clear to me that most if not all the Blazers are clowns right now.

DewKid said...

I can tell you this: now that I live in Southern California, all I hear about are the Lakers (well, duh!) Whenever they play the Blazers, the reporters usually add an unflattering adjective in front of their team name:

The Lakers lost last night to the pathetic Trailblazers.

Um, if the Lakers lost, doesn't that make them pathetic too?

I miss the old days: Clyde the Glide, Mercy mercy Jerome Kersey, Uncle Cliffy, Terry Porter (did he have a nickname?). That's when the Blazers ROCKED!

(is it just me, or are these word verifications getting harder and harder to get right the first time?)

Don Snabulus said...

PB: Two completely different rating systems. Outlaw is ranked at the top of the bottom group in several categories (and did very well in Blocks and Turnovers). The weighted category is based more on pure stats than rankings and Outlaw suffers there.

Pa've: That is a healthy attitude as it regards the Blazers.

Momo: Ruff!

DewKid: I miss those guys too (and their Dairy Queen beverage glasses).