Sunday, February 19, 2006

Heart Cakes Galore!



First, I made this little cake from Martha Stewart. I overcooked it a little, and found trying to make the powered cocoa heart as pictured on Martha's website was more difficult (impossible!) than it looked. I gave up on that. What's nice about it is that it's light, and not too sweet. Hubby & Bean loved it! I baked it in a silicone pan I got at Target (it's actually smaller than the recipe called for, so I made some cupcakes on the side and gave mini-cakes to neighbors). The form is called a "sweetheart" - most other pans have a more short, round heart shape. There's a place to buy it online here.




Well here's a pic of the cake I delivered to my daughter's lunch time crowd, along w/some other Valentine's Day treats. The cake is easy to make, but is quite large, and you may need to make a special board to put it on, (it won't fit on a regular cake stand); and if you're allergic to strawberries, you're plum out of luck! Here's the recipe!

Strawberry Heart Cake - 2000 Taste of Home Annual Recipes, Reiman Publications, pg. 140

1 pkg (18&1/4 oz) white cake mix
1 pkg (3 oz) strawberry gelatin
3 tlbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen sweetened strawberries, thawed*
1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
5 to 5&1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
Red hots**, or Valentine M&M's (optional)

In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, gelatin and flour. Beat in oil & eggs. Drain strawberries, reserving 1/2 syrup for frosting. Add berries and water to batter; mix well. Divide batter between two wax paper*** lined 8-in baking pans, one SQAURE and one ROUND. Bake at 350 for about 35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. In a small mixing bowl, combine butter and reserved syrup****. Gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Place square cake diagonally on a 20-in x 15-in covered board. Cut round cake in half. Frost cut side; placed frosted sides against the top two sides of square cake, forming a heart. Frost sides and top of cake. Decorate w/rehots (or M&M's) if desired. Yield: 12-16 servings.

NOTES:
*1-We got unsweetened strawberries, I don't think it really makes a difference.
**2-The original cake uses red hots for decoration. I hate red hots; you can use any Valentine's candy you want!
***3-I used parchment paper instead.
****4-I didn't have hardly any syrup from the strawberries, so I used a raspberry framboise (2 tsps of Royale Chambord Liqueur), and pink food coloring instead.

6 comments:

Seymour said...

Heat Cakes? Oh, I can feel the heat, bay-bee!

I want a cake that looks like a real human heart so when you stand on a street corner eating it, people run in terror!!


cugklp-a receptacle for nail trimmings

Don Snabulus said...

I fixed the Heat Cakes. It says Heart Cakes now.

Just what is a heat cake anyhow?


kfypd - Kentucky Fried Young Peking Duck

The Moody Minstrel said...

Heat cakes are the biological thingies that evolve in the sewers in heat islands like Tokyo.

Seymour said...

Don, you should have fixed it so it read, "meat cakes".

That would have been hilarious!!



yuqxlxpq-Aztec God of Meat.

DewKid said...

Mmmmm MEATCAKES!!!!

My wife is in the cake decorating business. She and I have been brainstorming about how to make a meat cake. The only real argument, is that she wants to do it with fondant, and I want to use a bloody cow carcass. MMMMMMEEEEEAAAATTT!!!

(Cute cake by the way!)

Pa've said...

What the heck is Fondant, I guess the carcass would probably be better though!

spupzspu - Isuzu Compact car for puppies.