Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Once More unto the Breach for Le Guin



Even though the SciFi channel screwed it up, I get the feeling that Studio Ghibli won't. "Screw up what?" you ask. Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea novels I say. Click here for the Japanese link (and click here for the English translation) to Ghibli's animated version of Tales from Earthsea. From the English version website:

Based on the Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin.

The literal translation of the Japanese is "GED military history" or "A military history of GED". A more sensible translation is "Ged's war chronicle" or "Ged's history of the war". The official English title is "Tales from Earthsea".

Directed by Goro MIYAZAKI, script by Goro MIYAZAKI and Keiko NIWA, music by Tamiya TERASHIMA.


As to which tales, here is a mixed answer from the translator...

Q: What book is the film based upon?

The film will be mainly based on the volume 3 (The Farthest Shore) of the series. The English title is "Tales from Earthsea," so the film will probably mix several episodes from various volumes.


After enjoying the heck out of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle, I am excited to see what is coming to us in June 2006!

6 comments:

Pandabonium said...

What a treat! I am really looking forward to this. My wife introduced me to Miyazaki's work a few years ago and now I'm hooked.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Yes!!!
Go, Ghibli!!!
Miyazaki is a (probably Shinto) god!!!
I've really liked everything of his I've seen so far, so this should be pretty good.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Then again, I read a website not too long ago in which an avid (or perhaps I should say "rabid") manga fan was spelling out the plot differences between the movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and the original manga version. The variations were similar in scope and intensity to those between the Lord of the Rings movies and the original novels, i.e. some details were cut and pasted, a few minor sub-plots left out, and some words and acts attributed to minor characters transferred to major characters (so those minor characters could be deleted). It still made little if any difference to the story as a whole or made it any less enjoyable, but if you're a diehard purist you may get rankled a bit.

Seymour said...

I can't believe they could do any worse than the Sci-Fi channel. It was stinky!

In fact, Sci-Fi Channel only has the new Battlestar Galactica and Stargate, everything else sux. Whoever's in charge of their made for TV movies should be forced onto the Tony Danza Show, for Eternity!!

Corn Cob Bob said...

It's all a bit corny to me!

Pa've said...

I just got the anime version of the Matrix.

I guess I'm a bit of a newbie.