Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Just Another Beautiful Sunday

We've been graced with a gorgeous dry and mild September. We decided to take off last Sunday while things were still dry and warm. Our first stop was at the Wildwood Recreation Area for a few miles of hiking. On the way home, we stopped off at the Portland Polish Festival to soak in more of the international culture that permeates our fair city. Although we have no Polish blood, we were drawn by the thought of dance, costumes, beer gardens, and pierogies. Well, off to the pictures...



The MiniSnab hangs out in front of the Cascade Streamwatch underwater display. Small Coho Salmon fry can be seen behind her swimming around in a real habitat.



Here we stand in front of the rushing waters of the Salmon River.



Although autumn is fast approaching, flowers are still in bloom here in the foothills of the Cascades (there were some beautiful orchids, but the pictures came out blurry).



A boardwalk was built across a boggy wetland area. Most of the critters appeared to have buttoned down for the winter, but the winds rattled the cattail reeds and some unknown and unseen water fowl gave off an occasional squawk for us.



After driving off of the flanks of Mt. Hood, we headed to St. Stanislaus Catholic church for the Portland Polish Festival. Here is ladybug trying to hide the beer sign from me.



Here are some dancers. As a side note, there was a very nice exhibit honoring Pope John Paul II in one of the buildings.



Kids always do a great job of dancing. The music was like a polka, but definitely with a Polish and even Russian sounding twist. All in all, it was an enjoyable afternoon spent.

8 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

Wildwoods Recreation Area? I don't recall ever having heard of that! Yet another place to try to check out on a future trip home...

Mmmmm....Polish beer!

Pandabonium said...

Great pix. That is something special about America and the thing I enjoyed most about living in Hawaii - the mix of cultures with all the costumes, religions, customs, festivals, and FOOD that goes with them.

Beer and pierogies sounds like a winner to me!

Seymour said...

Forget it Kevin. Your next trip home will consist of entertaining us with clever songs and bizarre dance steps from rural Japan.

After tiring of that, you will be forced to Game Master a nonsensical Impasse adventure dealing with the rebirth of Ute and the destruction of the Thulian Empire. Beer and ball-gags will be provided.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Aw, screw my job and my family. I'm on my way!

(I wish...)

thehim said...

Mmm, pierogies. I am Polish, but I haven't had a pierogie in a while...

ladybug said...

We weren't able to get the food this time arounds, but it sure looked good!
There were cabbage rolls (I have a cool recipe I'll post later); potato pancakes w/your choice of sour cream or apple sauce.

I love going to ethnic festivals just for the food!

There's a Ukranian one coming up this weekend at the Ukranian Orthodox Church in Sellwood, (it's probably named after a Saint, but I can't remember which one at the moment)

The weekend after that is a Greek Festival.....

Now cue up the ubiquitous Italian Spaghetti dinner at Holy Rosary...

Pandabonium said...

Potato pancakes! I'll have both sour cream and apple sauce. Or if I have to, buy one of each. Mmmm.

This may put Moody Minstrel in a tizzy, but perhaps FOOD is the universal language of mankind.....

I can eat better than I can play trombone anyway, and usually enjoy people's cooking more than their music.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I have a weak and probably ulcerated stomach followed by an irritable colon.

MUSIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!