Tuesday, August 23, 2005

In Tribute to a True Pioneer

On June 3rd Don Snabulus posted an article about the Moog Fest, celebrating 40 years of the Moog synthesizer and its indelible effect on contemporary music.

Well, now, sadly, Robert Moog has decayed and released, aged 71, felled by a brain tumor. How ironic, considering his brain and the ideas that flowed out of it had such a strong impact on the world of musical instruments.

Moog never claimed to be a musician. He called himself a "toolmaker" whose customers were musicians. His early efforts were huge, clunky machines with lots of cables and knobs (and sometimes they were even played by knobs). True to form, even the newer products put out by the Moog company seem bulky compared with today's industry standards. Many if not most of the devices are even based on surprisingly primitive technology. Still, there is no replacement for their sound or their reliability.

Rest in peace, Robert Moog!

(Hmm...I've never owned a Moog product. Maybe I should look at that MIDI-controlled, digitally programmable Minimoog module...or one of those really wild Moog effectors...)

3 comments:

Corn Cob Bob said...

Reminds me of my old vinyl "Pop-corn"

Pandabonium said...

"Switched On Bach" forever.

Don Snabulus said...

I have a CD of Walter, I mean, Wendy Carlos' Bach music. It was the 2000 edition, but I enjoy it. I have a couple of synths myself (sorry Robert, no Moogs) and the older they are, the cooler they sound.