Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Sometimes I actually get work done

Hi peoples. I had a great post about an awful movie I was rattling through the pachinko board I call my brain, but we are in the midst of a new software deployment at work for a customer, so I've been involved in making miracles happen on short notice. Stupid little miracles like creating reports, but I need to outperform the late James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) to get them done.

Speaking of which, I was sorry to hear of Doohan's passing. We should have had a tribute here at Snabby for him.

Another thing I feel bad about is that I've been remiss in reading my usual blog log of cool folks like Pa`ve, Moody, and the Reloaders (see right for links). I apologize for failing to keep up my rhetorical bargain.

So this movie I saw was What the #$*! Do We (K)now!? and it actually made me angry to the point where I had to leave the room. Why it made me angry rather than just laughing at it, I am trying to figure it out. It reminded me rather heavily of seeing a smarmy conversion film, but it was "against" organized religion. I really thought it was a Scientology come-on, but didn't find out until later that it was funded by someone else who looks like Stiffler's Mom from American Pie. Instead, it was a new age chick named JZ Knight. (Compare the links to see the resemblance)

There were a laundry list of hokum claims (like Native Americans couldn't see Columbus' ship because they couldn't conceive of such an event). They wrapped it up with graphic effects and spacy synth music to make it seem that it was technologists speculating on the philosophical implications of science instead of a hidden agenda to make Knight money through drawing false inferences about science. Why Marlee Matlin and Armin Shimerman (Quark the Ferenghi) were in it, I can't tell you, but they lended it a credibility it didn't deserve.

I forgot to mention that Knight also "channels" Ramtha, a many thousand year old super-wise being who uses this gal to impart knowledge to us. Whatever.

Well, enough for now. Have fun!

12 comments:

ladybug said...

This move is full of baloney-spumoni, like people are "addicted" to feelings. Well, duh, I thought that meant we were human beings, but maybe I've got it backwards...

The other fact that alerted my BS detector is how we "choose" our own reality, and are therefore "responsible" for all the good AND bad that happens in our life..

(note to the wise: the current Kabbalistic fad that some celebrities like Madonna have become infatuated with shares this same BS philosophy)

Yea, like we choose to be hit by a drunk driver, or have a child die days before birth...

(**EXTREME ANGER STATEMENT HAS BEEN DELETED FOR THE GOOD OF ALL SNABBY BLOGGERS**)

It's bull of the highest order, and intended for namby-pamby New-Age brainwashing of the naive...

Vulgarius said...

Funny. I had a similar conversation with someone today. For some reason they think that this absolves them of all guilt.... Isnt Scientology a little like this?

One more thing... I just cannnot understand why I keep seeing the image of Burt from "SOAP" when I think of this subject.

Pandabonium said...

Having recenlty posted a story about Quantum Mechanics and my dog Momo on my own blog (in jest), I can feel your pain. This movie is filled with enough mis-direction to make any magician proud.

Quantum mechanics is an interesting topic to be sure, and important to understanding atomic level physics, but to apply it the macro world at large or to spirituality is, to put it simply, a con job. Einstein spent a lifetime looking for a unified field theory that would provide one answer to everything and never found it.

There is an interesting article on Wikpedia about this film that reveals some very interesting facts about the people who made it and were featured in it.

Dr. David Albert of Columbia University, who appears frequently in the film, says he was decieved by the filmmakers and his interview was edited to make it appear he supports ideas that he does not.

When I see a bad movie, I always think of all the time, money, and talent that was wasted and could have been put to positive use. Sad. Worse yet, they rob us of our own time and money.

Vulgarius said...

Hmm.. Sounds like the Eric the Viking syndrome....


What Sea Monster?

ladybug said...

Hey Panda - Thanks for the info on Dr. Albert; it's true that sometimes people end up accidently endorsing something they had no intention of doing.

That's why it's always a good idea to vet anyone who may be using your intellectual/artistic property especiallyin film, radio, or print as it can be edited to suit the writer's/filmaker's viewpoint.

Have come across some nasty hatchet jobs (fortunately not of me), of business/artistic friends/clients.

Sigmund the Sea Monster said...

Nobody ever sees me... (sob)

Don Snabulus said...

I'm not sure how scientology deals with guilt. The science as philosophical metaphor thing seems similar though. I can't say I'm an expert on Scientology or JZ Knight because they aren't my cup of tea (to put it very nicely).

Vulgarius said...

Thats a tea monthter!

Vikings said...

Did someone cue the vikings?

"Spam, spam, spam, wonderful spam, spam, spam..."

Michael Palin said...

SHUUUUUUUUUTTTTT UUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!

Philrod Piddlewaif said...

INCONSEQUENTIAL!!!!!!!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Actually, though I'm not entirely sure why I would even be defending them, this movie sounds like it's giving New Agers a bad name...