Friday, May 20, 2005

No Rain in Portland...

We've had some pretty decent rain and hail storms over the last few days here in Portland. Of course, we don't get the REALLY big stuff like Oklahoma and Nebraska, but when it pours, I like to go check out the weather radar to see the cloud top heights, hail diameters, and all that fun stuff.

For the last few days, I've been going to Weather.com for Portland and the Weather Underground (Wunderground.com) and it shows our radar screen as blank. WOW! We live in the Mojave all of a asudden. At least Wunderground.com informs the user that the radar is down for scheduled maintenance.

If I were in charge of radar maintenance, the ONE TIME I wouldn't schedule a maintenance is in the middle of spring. Heck, spring and hurricane season are the only times having a radar provides any significant public value. At any rate, I will need to view my spring showers in shades of gray instead of green, yellow, and red.

Hopefully my computer doesn't get zapped. My surge protection sucks (precisely because I live in [normally] thunderstorm-averse Portland). Maybe I will take my computers down for maintenance for a few days...NOT.

Update: Wahoo! Radar is back up...just in time for things to dry out.

2 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

I wonder what would happen if a weather service shut down during typhoon season here. Maybe they would be arrested and charged with criminal negligence...

Anonymous said...

Eltigris: Oh Moody ...you know they wouldnt do that. The head guy would come out in tears and tell everyone it was all his fault, he would blubber a dinasourlike dour apology, resign his post, take a fat golden parachute with him into la la land, and they would wipe the books clean. If he was real bad... the prime minister may even shake his finger at him and say "bad dog.. bad dog ..look what you did" or something similar that works in japanese society...