Sunday, January 16, 2005

Whither Politics?

As some of you might have noticed, the political blogging is gone from the land of Snabulus. There are a number of reasons why this is so. They range from the simple to the complex. What follows is an explanation for those who are interested. For those that aren’t, I am sure a Jim Dandy caption contest is coming up soon.

Although this essentially is an anonymous blog, I’ve done a poor job of anonymizing it. I began to worry that what I write here might have an effect on my professional life. There have been a number of news stories lately of people being fired based on their web content, sometimes for professional reasons and sometimes for political ones. I am not so attached to what I write here that I am willing to lose my job over it, especially since there are others out there espousing my opinions quite well.

Speaking of opinions, I’ve started applying a more critical filter to the type of information that I considered to be “true” up until now. As a result, I am less likely now to fully believe sources and more likely to look at them in the context of who said and why they might have said them. Since a great number of my political posts depending on sources I now look at more critically, I didn’t think they really represented my more complicated opinions.

Most importantly though, I removed the politics to improve the types and diversity of my friendships. I’ve always been more valuable and felt more comfortable as a liaison than as an adversary. Sometimes you need to take a stand and I did when it was appropriate and I still feel my stands were generally correct. However, there comes a time when the stand is taken and things become what they become. At that point, you need to move on. The 2004 elections were that point for me. The country chose a President. He was not who I voted for, but it was a choice nonetheless.

There are some old friendships that converge here at Snabulus and as adults with jobs and families, people have chosen a variety of paths and each person’s experiences have led them to their own conclusions (Iraq) about how the world operates. Given the anger within myself and others generated by the political content (Iraq) that seemed to just cycle around, fed by a media more than happy to pour gas on those two sets of flames (Iraq), I just couldn’t see the point in risking the damage to my friendships by continuing the diatribes and rants (about Iraq). It is not as if Snabulus has a big audience. Atrios and Instapundit I am not, so why continue the rancor? No reason.

I don’t want things to get too boring (not Iraq), but I have been a very busy person working extra hours on a software project since Thanksgiving. I know that some who I won’t mention (cough, Minstrel, cough) think the wind has gone out of the sails of this ship, but in reality there was more of an unannounced port of call for a month or two (whew, I nearly mixed a metaphor).

I doubt I can match my old quantity of material because I am no longer driven by the “sense of urgency” line being pawned off on us by the polarizing press, but perhaps I can increase the quality. I want to be more like Ladybug. She writes about things to celebrate, eat, enjoy, think about or all four at the same time. Why not do that?

I’ve been thinking I should share the wealth, so if anyone is interesting in becoming a guest blogger, drop me an e-mail so I can laugh in your face (and invite you to blog if I know you, I mean really know you). Funny stuff, stories, ideas, recipes, game and movie reviews, and that kind of thing would really spice up this little weblog I think.

Blah, blah, blah. I’ve gone on too long. If you’ve read down this far, get off the computer and get a life.

9 comments:

The Moody Minstrel said...

The life I've already got is plenty, thank you.


Well...should I start talking about flowers again? Maybe this time I'll leave out the nasal voice.

Don Snabulus said...

In the last month and a half, you've written more substantive stuff than I have (caption contests are fun, but they aren't really true weblog stuff).

For that, I thank you and encourage you to keep up whatever seems right to you. Family always comes first, followed by work, followed by self-gratification, followed by doodling in the phone book, but blogging should definitely be in the top 25 somewhere.

:) Thanks for all your entries man.

Vulgarius said...

We should talk about....Colors....Agghhhh!!!!

Don Snabulus said...

what color?

what color?

what color?

what color?

what color?
    pink
what color?
    pink
what color?
    pink
what color?
    pink
what color?
    pink                      purple,
what color?                but not green..
    pink                      purple,
what color?                but not green..
    pink                      purple,
what color?                but not green..
    pink                      purple,
what color?                but not green..

what color?

what color?

what color?

what color?

Anonymous said...

The Colorman:

Awww.........

You plagiarist!!!!!!!!

DewKid said...

MEAT

MEAT

MEAT

MEAT

MEAT ... CLOWN

MEAT ... CLOWN

MEAT ... CLOWN

MEAT ... CLOWN

MEAT ... CLOWN
... but not Iraq
MEAT ... CLOWN
... but not Iraq
MEAT ... CLOWN
... but not Iraq
MEAT ... CLOWN
... but not Iraq

** BEWARE THE MEAT CLOWNS!!! **

Colorman: HEY!!!!
Minstrel: Wouldn't you rather have a HEY of average intelligence?
Philrod Piddlewaif: Inconsequential!!
Minstrel's Lawyers: mlmlmlmlmlmlmlmmllm!!!!
Seymour Deth's Lawyers: Meat clowns?
DewKid's Lawyers: Pilferer!!
Minstrel's Lawyer's Lawyer: EXCUSE ME!?!?!?
Random Policeman: Excuse me, aren't you K!@#$!@%!@%
Random Citizen: NO!!!!!
DewKid: I think my sugar rush has waned.... for now.

.... AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ....

The Moody Minstrel said...

Stupid clowns.

Don Snabulus said...

FYI: I used the   tag to space out my song verses.

Back to the potatoes (Yum!)

ElTigris said...

Meat clowns in collusion with Mcdonalds ... trashy posionous food for everyone ... with evil clowns... call out the semiconcious bill the cat clone troopers and give them hell! *tthhpppphhhtttt*