Tuesday, December 14, 2004

What Are Friends For?

Today I got an e-mail from a mutual old friend of both me and Snabby. In it, he wondered why we were still friends even despite our often radically different (diametrically opposed?) political and religious views. After all, our differing viewpoints have led to some very heated e-mail exchanges on more than one occasion. I mean, we're talking some serious cyber-bile here. Even so, we've continued to maintain that tie.

I guess true friendship is something that can even survive post-9/11 angst. Yes, there are still human beings in the world, and some of them do still have hearts and souls regardless of who they may have voted for. There's something to be learned there...though I'm not altogether sure what it is.

One thing I am sure of is that the linked article gives a perfect example of how not to conduct a friendship. Patience used to be a virtue. Now it seems to be an endangered species...along with personal responsibility.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy was getting choked in his own house. If what you say in the previous post is true, he has a right to defend himself.

The Moody Minstrel said...

I said, "...the linked article gives a perfect example of how not to conduct a friendship." I don't recall making any judgements over which of the two was in the wrong. As far as I'm concerned, they both should have been choked, or shot, for that matter. Trying to kill your friend over a dog seems to me to be the height of stupidity.