Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Oh, If Only....

Ah, college pranks.

I feel deprived. The biggest coup the Beaver Band at OSU managed to pull off was some very off-color versions of rival schools' fight songs. Then there was the moron (not one of us) who ripped off a tuba from the Duck band. There was nothing that was anywhere near as glorious as this stunt Yale managed to pull off against Harvard.

I guess CalTech gets the credit for first orchestrating a stunt like this at the 1961 Rose Bowl, but their version wasn't quite as brutal as this one. (They rearranged the Washington Huskies' flip-card routine so that it produced a beaver instead of a Husky, spelled "Huskies" backward, and then spelled out "CalTech". There was nothing as blatantly insulting as this gem.)

Why do I suddenly find myself wishing (or maybe even fearing) that someone would pull off something similar at rallies in support of certain political parties and/or Third-World countries? Actually, I'd rather not even get into that...


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it. I absolutely love it. I hope Harvard gets revenge and it somehow damages the Skull and Bones organization. Mwahahahahaha.

DewKid said...

The thing is, the prank didn't go off as sweet as the pranksters claim. The image they use is part reality, and part photoshop. If you watch the video, or look at Yale's own news source, it appears that the success was limited. Reading through the comment section, you find several places (among all the dorks saying "woo hoo mo fo") where people are saying "I was at the game, but I couldn't decipher the result...".

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that I have spent WAY too much time looking into this. I don't even like Yale or Harvard so WHY DO I EVEN CARE!!!!!

AAAAAGGGH!!!!

(It was a good prank though!) :-)

Now bring back that Tuba! (I'm technically a Duck fan, because both my younger brothers are Ducks. Well, they are not actually ducks, but.... oh nevermind).

Don Snabulus said...

And now...

DewKid, brought to you by Snopes.com, debunking urban legends wherever they may be found...and McDonald's, where faking Australian accents gets you a free burger.

I'm glad you found that out, 'cuz I like the truth better than mythical pranks.

-- Snabulus, brought to you by Goobers...don't let them hit the ground...and OS/2, because system stability shouldn't be confined to the 21st century.

The Moody Minstrel said...

Okay, I looked at the "unaltered" version on the Yale news site (thanks, DewKid). No, it doesn't look as sweet as the image that found its way to the mainstream media, but I think relegating it to the status of an urban myth is overdoing it a bit. The stunt was still pulled off, and, if you think about it, it's still a riot.

DewKid, as far as I know, they never found out who stole the tuba. I don't know if it ever surfaced, either. The Beaver Band not only had nothing to do with it, but we even put out a public call for the instrument's anonymous return so we could give it back. Stealing instruments is uncool. We got no response, which really doesn't surprise me. There are always a lot of bona fide twanks at college.

Oh, and Anonymous, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the idea of Harvard making a revenge attack on the Skull and Bones organization. On the one hand, there's the fact that they have direct links to our oh-so-trustworthy (COUGH) administration. (News Flash: Hundreds affected by apparent bio-weapon attack at Harvard University. Al-Qaeda claims responsibility. France surrenders.) There's also the fact that no one really knows what those people do, so they might "accidentally" summon some extra-dimensional horror and inflict it upon an unsuspecting world.

Whatever.

Don Snabulus said...

It was still readable. I wonder why someone felt the need to Photoshop it. Cabbage.