Monday, November 22, 2004

Lucky to be Alive in the Land of the Rising Sun

According to the Nihonshoki, the (rather suspect) chronicle of Japanese history from the time of the gods till the Nara Era (8th century), the phenomenon of thunder without clouds was considered a serious harbinger of doom.

Last Friday night, I went over to the in-laws' house to take my bath much later than usual. By the time I finished, it was nearly 1:00 a.m.. After that, I stepped outside to return home under a glorious, crystal-clear sky.

About halfway back to my house (a distance of perhaps ten meters), there was suddenly a brilliant flash in the northwestern sky that made the whole sky turn white for a tiny faction of a second. If it was lightning, it was probably the brightest stroke I'd ever seen.

The rumble sounded more than a minute later, and it most definitely did not sound like thunder. Thunder tends to roll. This was a single, intense, reverberating detonation, like someone hitting a well-miked bass drum in an echo chamber.

The sky continued to remain crystal clear.

I know that we are still in the midst of the Leonid Meteor Shower, so it was probably an exploding meteor.

The next day, my son got sick with a stomach flu. The evening after that, the bug hit me hard. My daughter was felled the following morning. Though we're all finally keeping our food down, my daughter and I still have fevers two days later (though my son appears to be over it). The doctor says he thinks we ate something that was contaminated with a virus. Thinking in retrospect, all of us but my wife ate leftover pizza on Thursday. Maybe that explains why she has been unaffected so far.

I hate it when traditional superstitions come true, don't you?

2 comments:

Vulgarius said...

Did any of your kids bring home a strange glowing rock?

The Moody Minstrel said...

Well, if they did, it most likely wound up at the in-laws' place.