Tuesday, October 26, 2004

How Are We Gonna Score?

If you don't understand the significance of that title, then buzz off. No, don't. I just figured that, since someone was thoughtful enough to share the website of Ye Olde Heckart Lodge (Home of Humanity, Den of Insanity), thus touching off a flurry of e-mail exchange, it would be best to post it here to give us a nice comment thread that everyone can ignore.

Ah, the memories. Heckart was truly an unforgettable place, and it brought me into contact with some very unforgettable people. Many of them have been appearing on this blog.

I actually heard nothing but insults regarding Heckart from the "pretty, plastic" crowd that had hijacked the music department. However, when I finally pulled my head out of my aft shaft, got the Sam Hill out of dorm hell, and moved into that wonderful house of wonders, I finally realized that it was actually possible to enjoy college life and not just be disgusted by it.

Anyway, if you're a Heckart alum or simply curious (or an obnoxious jerk trying to be funny), feel free to drop by the comment thread!

2 comments:

DewKid said...

Never visited the place, but heard enough about it to feel like I knew it! My Senior year of high school was a bit depressing because so many of my friends were a year ahead of me, and off to college. When the breaks came around (Spring, Christmas, etc), I got to hear all the stories of Heckart Lodge, and the various goings on. I really wanted to be a part of the whole thing, but could never really wander too far from home to consider it.

Still, I wouldn't change anything: I'm happy with what ultimately worked out for me in College and beyond. At least now, I've seen what the place looks like...

The Moody Minstrel said...

Heckart and its female counterpart, Reed Lodge, were the oldest (and most dilapidated) of the OSU co-op houses. Consequently, they were also the cheapest. That was probably the main reason why Heckart didn't attract the "pretty, plastic" crowd. They all preferred Avery Lodge, which was more or less a frat in disguise. There was also Beaver Lodge, which was co-ed and privately owned (and thus had more liberal rules) and another co-op (name I can't recall) that was the "born-again (yesterday) Christian" house. There was also one other female house, Avery's counterpart, that considered itself a budget sorority anyway and thus had little to do with the rest of us.

Heckart had a reputation, often rubbed in my face by the pretty-boys in the band, of being a "granola house", i.e. a den of hippies and potheads. I was always being asked, "When are you going to get a life and move out of that place?" The funny thing was that, of the several dozen people that were there during my stay, there were perhaps half a dozen at best that fit that description. Somehow they came to represent us all. Actually, I mainly appreciated Heckart for the wild mix of people it always had. We had lefties, righties, yuppies, ROTCs, fundies, druggies, Kiwis, chauvenazis, Japanese, Chinese, veggies (one, anyway...), geekies, freakies, sneakies, and me. What did Avery have? A bunch of guys that all dressed the same, had the same hairstyle, and said "dude" a lot. "Get a life," indeed!

Avery's reps in the ICC (InterCoopCouncil, or "ick!" for short) tried to get a measure passed standardizing the costs of all the co-ops, i.e. raising Heckart's fees and lowering theirs. They said it was because they wanted the focus to be on the "character" of the house rather than its cost. We retorted that the low cost of Heckart WAS its character! Actually, they weren't fooling anyone; the whole point of the measure, which fortunately failed, was to solve their recruiting problems. Not enough people wanted to "get a life", it seems.