Saturday, September 18, 2004

Need a Shed? Need an extra room?

Ladybug and I subscribe to a hip magazine called Ready Made magazine. A few issues back, they had an article called "Raising a Blazona." The challenge was to build an inexpensive building that was cool looking, usable for both living and storage, and could be built without a zoning permit. The article contained the following...

Need a little space? An extra room for sleepovers? Maybe a home office or an art studio? Edgar Blazona has the 100 square feet for you. The 32-year-old Blazona is a former graffiti artist turned furniture designer whose modular dwellings have been installed in art museums, at health spas, and by anyone willing to pony up the $15,000 they cost to build.

snip

So, snared as we were by the Le Corbusier charm of his casitas, but crimped by the price tag, we asked Blazona to put together something a little different: a cozy, code-safe, zoning-friendly 10' x 10' version for elbow-greasers on a tight budget.

Nothing could prepare us for the shock and awe we felt when he showed us what he'd created. Blazona's ReadyMade shed is constructed from Plexiglas, steel, and prefinished plywood-and it costs just $1,500.


We have a deck that is HUGE. It has an entire section dedicated to a hot tub that never came to fruition from the previous owners. My wheels are turning and we may yet build a room using some lumber saved from this extra decking. It is not a done deal as I most likely have a second hernia surgery coming up and, as always, a million things planned and time to do only a thousand. But we bought the plans from ReadyMade (scroll down for details) and we are ready should the need or want arise (hopefully I am wrong about the hernia, but when you can feel gas against the skin of your stomach after a big bowl of chili, it leaves little room for doubt).

If we go through with it, my plan is to face the plexiglass side true south and create a lightweight overhang for the summer. Unbeknownst to the county, I was thinking about sneaking in some kind of insulation so it would be a real, usable passive solar room. Of course, if it were passive solar, it would need a concrete mass to store heat in the winter and absorb heat in the summer. Hmmm. More thinking is needed I see. Well, there will be time for that. Concrete is spendy, so maybe there is a better plan.

6 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Apparently, nobody needs a shed. and extra room. (Sigh)

The Moody Minstrel said...

I really do need a shed, and I DESPERATELY need the extra room! What I don't need are the shipping costs, and what I don't have is time (or cooperative in-laws).

Don Snabulus said...

Maybe you need one of these sheds. .

There are other types there. We have two Rubbermaid storage sheds (smaller than the one pictured). They go up fast and keep things covered. I don't know what the availability is in your neck of the woods, but it is a thought. Even though they are plastic, they are fairly heavy, but I've never tested one in a typhoon.

Heather said...

Hey Snabulus, did you ever build that shed? The links for the shed plans at ReadyMade are broken, darn it.

Susan Graham said...

I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a

website soon, and your information will be very useful for me..

Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success.

barn wood furniture said...

That is a beautiful arbor! Wow, your hubby is a darling for building it. My own hubby cleaned up my whole potting bench and area yesterday so I'm not complaining, still, I wish I had an arbor like that!

Susan Graham