Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Get rid of the cats!!!! Or the oven gets it!

Vulgarius writes:

I had an interesting ordeal this morning. While making my morning coffee, Grey (one of our cats) brought in his morning breakfast rodent through the cat door. But as I walked over to grab him by the scruff with snack in mouth and toss him back out, The large rat got loose and began running around the dining room. At that moment I noticed something different about this rat. It had a bushy tail and the squeaking was a little different. The alleged rat ran into the kitchen and then tripped, landing flat on its back, arms and legs splayed out. At that point I realized that this rat was actually a Northern Flying Squirrel. Native but very very rare. I tried to get a tupperware dish and catch it while it was shrieking helplesssly on its back but it leapt up and ran under and then into the oven frame. Now we have to wait untill I get home with a nutdriver (no pun intended) so I can remove the back plate and then the little critter. Im reasoning that since they are nocturnal it will stay hidden in the frame untill I get home. I will try to forward pics if I can catch it.

9 comments:

Don Snabulus said...

Wow! I've only seen one, possibly two of those little guys in all my forest wanderings. I hope you can get him out intact.

Our cat brought down a regular ground squirrel a couple of days ago. Maybe they need to raid their food caches and the cats are ready.

Vulgarius said...

An eastern invader...The Fox Squirrel, a brown colored squirrel is too cometitive for the gray and flying squirrels and has overrun most of the habitat. Now I have a good excuse to pop them when they raid our filbert trees! Maybe they could take Rocky's place in the oven :)

Anonymous said...

Relatively Exact:

Mmm.........squirrel burgers!

The Moody Minstrel said...

Well, I'll be da*ned. I didn't even know we still had flying squirrels in Oregon...let alone in the greater Portland area! It makes me wonder how Grey managed to track the thing down.

Maybe it's a North Korean spy...

Vulgarius said...

Well, all is well with the flying squirrel. She was quite a little fighter. Glad I had gloves on. She seemed to be unharmed if not hungry and thirsty. After a brief internment in a bird cage where we could observe the little critter and a brief photo session we released her into our little backyard forest. I will forward some pics as soon as we develop them.

I hear that the FAA reported a communications break down... Maybe she was on the wrong landing approach?
It seems that Elder Sensei Whino has taught Grey well.

Don Snabulus said...

Crikey, we have our own Flying Squirrel hunter. It is great to hear that you got pix and that you freed the little bugger. Hopefully, it is smarter around cats next time. Meanwhile, Grey will have to satisfy himself with kibbles for now.

ladybug said...

When I was a kid, the neighbors had a fluffy Persian who had kittens. One day the lady of the house was getting ready to drive to the store and heard weird noises in the car. She opened the hood and out stuck the heads of the Mom cat and all her kitties! Covered in greasy black oil, it was the funniest thing I ever saw. Took us kids a good hour to get them all out.

ElTigris said...

black and white persians commando training ... and that squirrel no doubt has plans of the kitchen...the hampers ...and the big prize ..the fridge... now the demolitions team will sneak in under the cover of night....and..

The Moody Minstrel said...

Stop it, ElTigre, you're scaring me!!!

These animals are definitely up to something! How much more evidence do we need? It's all right there! There's something definitely fishy going on here! I smell a rat! The fox is loose! There's a skunk in the works! They've let loose the dogs of war! They've been busy as bees or beavers. The vultures are circling! The hawks are closing in for the kill while the people sit there like sheep! They are strong as a bull and stubborn as an ox, but definitely not to be cowed into submission. No, sir, we're not going to squirrel our way out of this one. Are we men or mice? Or simply chicken?

(Time to go to Joe Cartoon and kill some bad-mouthed gerbils.)