Thursday, July 01, 2004

Super Easy Peach Pie

I've had this recipe for years and years. I think I got it from one of the Reiman Publications magazines, (Quick Cooking, Taste of Home or Country Woman). This is a great dessert to make ahead, even days before you need it. You'll get lots of compliments and it tastes heavenly!

1 graham cracker crust (or make your own)
2 peeled, pitted, chopped peaches*
1 packet small (3 oz) peach Jello
1 cup softened** vanilla ice cream
1 small container whipped topping (8 oz I think), softened**

In a large bowl, combine jello and 1 cup boiling water. Stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Stir in ice cream until fully incorporated, do the same with the whipped topping. Fold in peaches. Pour into crust and refrigerate until set, appox 1 hour.
*(to make peeling peaches easier, blanche in boiling water approx 1 minute)
**(stand at room temperature until not frozen hard)

Notes: You can vary this recipe alot. I've used sugar-free Jello, low-fat/low-sugar ice cream/yogurt and low sugar whipped topping. I've also used Ben & Jerry's decadently delicious ice cream, real whipping cream (need at least 2 cups), and made my own crust. You can also use canned peaches for even faster preparation (drain the syrup), but it doesn't taste as good to me. I also prefer to use Honey-Maid brand crusts as the Keebler brand (though cheaper), tastes like blech to me personally. Last, but not least, there are only 2 sizes of whipped topping, just get the smaller one, I already recycled the container I used so I couldn't check the size....

1 comment:

Don Snabulus said...

I can vouch that you want the 8 oz. container of pre-whipped chemical whipped cream. I know because I bought it.

Speaking of mindless corporate obedience, here is a strawberry version of a similar pie at Kraft's web site (CoolWhip.com).